Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squirrels and rabbits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Squirrels and rabbits

Cavaliers may have been bred to be companion dogs, but they don't seem to have lost the hunting instincts they inherited from their spaniel ancestors (at least Annie hasn't).

If she sees a squirrel or rabbit, she goes absolutely bonkers! She growls fiercely and barks and kicks with her little paws.

Fortunately we have a small fenced yard, so the critters can get away before Annie gets too close. One time she chased a rabbit all around the yard before it managed to squeeze through the fence. I don't know what she would do if she actually caught one!

She hardly pays any attention at all to birds, cats or other creatures. But squirrels and bunnies are her prey. Last night on our walk, she chased a squirrel up a tree, then stood up with her front paws on the base of the tree and growled. She looked just like a coon dog.

Does anyone else have a little hunter in the family?

Dave
    Dave
    "My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained."

Post Thanks / Like

yeah our lucy loves to hunt the birds fortunetly for them they can get away!!!!
    Ryan, Lisa, and Kieran.....our 2 Blenhiem girls Lucy and Megan, Jake the Lab, and the old man of the house...Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

I have got 2 little hunters but it not just rabbits or squirrels it is birds as well
    about 5 weeks ago on how walk off lead they find a rabbit just sitting eatting
    grass Barney found it first and went up to it and touch it with his paw then Sam saw it and the rabbit must have thought run for it so both of them chase it they did not catch it the next day or so there was a young fox walk just in front of us so I shought at them and it went running off
    Laet week when we were having some wet weather Barney found a mouse we were going back in the car I said what has he got in his mouth when we got home I took the very dead mouse off him
    ----Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney---Sam)
    cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky & Sam & Jake
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference. Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OMG, YES!!!

Lucky goes bonkers when he sees a squirrel (we have not seen a rabbit yet). He likes birds too but with Squirrels he gets fixated - it's really hard to divert his attention and he BARKS, like he means it.

It's definitely clear he still has that hunter instinct! Make it really hard to walk him sometimes though ...
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

Mine are the same. Sam even loves catching flies. Who needs spiders.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes true spaniels at heart. phoebe managed to torture and almost kill a wild rabbit last year. My poor father had to finish the job. And guess what I've got 2 pet rabbits out the back!!!
    BK

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lucky also caught a lightening bug this past weekend ... (aka: firefly).

He also likes bees and butterflies but I keep him as far away from the bees as possible!
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

Harvey is a cat and squirrel lover and Alfie is obsessed by flys, bees and wasps, unfortunately he eats them if he manages to catch them.
    Yvonne

Mum to Harvey (blenheim) & Alfie (tri)xx

Post Thanks / Like

My Gal Pals Cavalier is allowed off lead~ Try the Football Game at the local High School...Cavalier see's Goose about three fields away, makes a run for it and prances past a horrified stadium with goose in her mouth as a special prize for her Daddy!
    A Good Attitude is like Kudzu~ It spreads quickly and never stops growing.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah my guys are fierce hunters too, taking on rabbits, kangaroos & the cows next door.... errrr until one of them gets too close & then they scrub their little paws as if to say "there I am the cock of the walk" and then run back to safety.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~