Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im at OSU with Bentley

Post Thanks / Like

Default Im at OSU with Bentley

I'm sitting here in my hotel with Bentley on my lap. He's very tired after two hours of preliminary testing. He IS able to participate in the PSOM study tomorrow! I'm both happy and sad; happy that he is helping with research and that I may have more answers, and sad that he has to go through all the testing tomorrow.

The cardiologist did hear a "click" in the left side of his heart so I wasn't happy to hear that. He will need to see a cardiologist in a year. This cardiologist said it may be nothing to worry about but a good idea to have him checked next year to see if anything changes. And, of course, if any symptoms appear I am to get him to a cardiologist at that time.

The neuro exam found that he has some sensitivity in his lower cervical spine. Dr Cole said they have no idea why this may be, but that most of the Cavaliers she has studied have sensitivity there. Dr Cole explained that between the CAT scan and a skull xray they do that if there is evidence of occipital dysplasia they can usually tell. She said that almost all the Cavaliers she's seen have had evidence of the malformation . That is very disheartening news to say the least.

Parts of his eardrums on both sides are bulging, which can be a sign of PSOM. His bloodwork was all within normal limits.

I am so interested to see the results tomorrow! I take him in at 7:30am (YIKES) and will be able to pick him up later in the afternoon... like 4 or 5:00. It's going to be a very long day! Fortunately, there are lots of things to see around here, and the hospital provided me with a wonderful info sheet with directions, etc. I'm planning on seeing a movie in the afternoon...seems like a good way to help the time pass more quickly!

So, if I might ask, please keep little Bentley in your thoughts tomorrow, that he will handle the anesthesia okay, and make it through the tests smoothly. I love him so much!
    ~not knowing how near the truth is,
    we seek it far away~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Will be thinking of you and Darling Bentley tomorrow - it's wonderful that you are able to particiapate in the research, just so sorry that you are going through this...

Approx 90% of Cavaliers have some degree of malformation - that sounds frightening, but many will never have any symptoms. It is only the more severely affected that will have problems.

Sorry to hear that Bentley may have the start of a murmur too - if he was slightly stressed with the tests and exams he has had today, that would make a murmur more apparent. It is sensible to have it checked though.

Please keep us posted, we are sending lots of positive thoughts for Bentley.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Barb!

Will be thinking of you and Bentley tomorrow, I hope that all the tests do give you answers and that you have a way forwards from that. It is, as Nicki has pointed out, not unusual for a dog in a strange/stressful situation to show a murmur, I have had girls certificated clear who when whelping have had to have a bit of help from the vets, these girls have often had a slight murmur at that time only for it to have dissapeared when they are checked over a few days later, so try not to worry about that right now, Bentley may have been picking up on your own stress as well.

Anyway for the tests tomorrow, I will certainly be thinking of you both!!
    Cathryn
    Cavaliers leave pawprints in your heart and hair on everything else!!
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

Post Thanks / Like

We're keeping fingers and paws crossed here for you. Best of luck with the results. Hugs to you as you wait. Glad you're keeping busy.
    Molly and Murphy (tri), Katie (ruby), Casey (B/T),Spike the wonder pup (tri), Suzie (tri) and Penny (blen)

Post Thanks / Like

Barb - will be thinking and praying for you both tomorrow. Glad you have some things to do to keep your mind occupied....movie sounds like a great idea.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You and Bentley are in our thoughts. Fingers are crossed that all goes well. Give Bentley and extra hug from us.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

I will be thinking of you both, let us know how Bentley got on
    Sue, Prince (B&T, DOB: 28/09/2001) & Lucy (Tri, DOB Unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Are thoughts are with u. Let us know how things are.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope all goes well today for you and Bentley. I am sure it will be a horribly long day...keeping you and Bentley in my thoughts.
    Mary-owned by Maya, Scout, Jazz and Sassy
    Annie at the bridge 3/13
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance......

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thinking of you and hoping all goes very well.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com