• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dogs seized in Tennessee

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone in that region, over 100 dogs were seized and need to be fostered/rehomed, small breeds including cavaliers it says 'King Charles spaniels' but I doubt they are Charlies; am sure they are CKCS).

http://www.jacksonsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070720/NEWS01/ 707200315

There's contact info in the article. There's a pathetic conversation that follows in the comment section which isn't even worth reading -- how someone can decide that someone accused of breeding this many individual dogs, and this many breeds, stacked in cages with feces landing on the dogs below, must be OK because her *vet* is OK, beggars belief.

Having just read about this ,is this not the more reason for legislation both in Britain and America to be being introduced for only a certain amount of Dogs to be kept .

Surely any Animal Lover couldnt have objections to Legislation to this being introduced

Bet

You'd think keeping and breeding this number of dogs should require a special license of some sort, but maybe that isn't the case in that state.

The pic of the little dog surely doesn't indicate that this is some kind of publicity stunt for a shelter! :sl*p: What shelter would want to take in over 100 dogs? The costs of dealing with this kind of situation are the single biggest limitation (setting aside weak legislation) on the ISPCA trying to crack down on the puppy farming industry here.

When people live in remote areas, they can get away with not applying for a license - that's how they slip through the cracks.:mad:

The costs in dealing with these situations can be offset if there is legislation requiring that the licensee be bonded and covered by insurance, a set amount per dog, to cover the cost of the shelter care when problems like this arise.

But then again, if a license is not applied for, it takes awhile to catch these people.

Even licensed breeders are sometimes guilty of this offense. Then when they are caught, liberal judges let them off the hook!

Recently my better half (doggymom) was involved in a poodle rescue on the East coast of Florida (Melbourne) where 90 Poodles were seized from a woman licensed by the AKC.

If I understand it correctly, the AKC came to inspect the breeder's facilities. I'm not sure if it was a scheduled inspection or a response to a complaint. At any rate, the woman wouldn't let them in to inspect but they could see enough from the front door to contact the authorities. The conditions were deplorable. The floors were covered with feces and the windows were left open so the dogs could freely go outside to potty if they chose to.

The dogs ranged from bitches with litters to older poodles that could no longer produce. All were ragged and covered with urine & feces.

Doggymom is a National DART and local CERT member so when the call went out from the ASPCA for volunteers, she responded among many others. Those poor folks went thru h _ _ l cleaning those Poodles up, walking & exersizing them on a rotation basis, finding temporary homes until the case could be heard by a judge, etc., etc.

A month after the seizure, the case went before a judge.

Unbelievably, he let the woman have half (45) of the dogs back! Of course, I don't have to tell you which ones she picked out! Only the young & more healthy ones! The rest were left for the Poodle rescue people to home.

Very frustrating! :bang:

Doggydad - that is so frustrating to hear! After all Doggymom and her group went through...to have this woman get any of her dogs back is deplorable!!

Bet - totally agree with you. This is why there must be some sort of legislation.

Cathy - do see the problems with remote areas. I think this where observers and/or neighbors come into play. The gal in Temecula with 10 Cavaliers (such a small amount compared to this and the Valley Center bust several years back :? ) was reported by someone who observed her conditions. We have to be the watchdogs. If you knew someone was abusing a child would you not call social services? Same goes for animals.

I fear that with tougher laws it may just drive some further "back into the woods" and underground making conditions even more deplorable. I know that something needs to be done. Such a difference in people breeding dogs to better the breed and people breeding to make money. I wonder how we change the mentality.

Even if tougher laws drive some to more obscure places, it will give authorities the tools to tackle others and push others to stop breeding entirely. And if people go to oscure places, they still have to sell those dogs. If the dogs are in a deplorable state, there are grounds for going after the supplier.

Doggydad I know just what you mean. Look at this case:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=13258

I have seen the initial LONG list of charges and pleas in which this woman was let off the hook with reduced charges and minor fines, over and over, though often there would initially be animal cruelty charges. Even when the dogs were FINALLY confiscated, they were returned to her shortly thereafter. And the terms of her federal conviction allowed her to keep all the dogs and she continues to sell them, she just keeps changing her name and the name of her kennel. Go figure. No one seemed to bother to look at the picture built up over time.

K - That's an incredible story. It simply boggles the mind what some people are willing to do for a buck. Especially when it involves abuse to animals.

CLICK HERE to see the article posted on the Coastal Poodle Rescue website regarding the raid and consequent rescue work that DM and the other volunteers helped with. The article says 85 dogs but DM claims 90 - plus came into the temp facility they were using to temporarily home and bring the dogs back to health. Also, the pups weren't counted with the adults returned so DM says it amounted to about half of the total.

BTW, that temporary facility was a very nice large home provided by one of the members that was vacant and on the market for sale. That member graciously took her home off the market until the rescue was complete!

Of course, we ended up fostering one of the little girls, estimated by the vet to be between 4 & 5 yrs old. "Bessie" took to DM immediately after the first bath and walk of the rescue and wouldn't leave her side. She was already spayed so DM didn't think the breeder would pick her as one to take back so we temporarily homed her until the decision was made. Then we fostered her permanently.

The cartiledge is torn in both of her ears so they don't hang right and you have to straighten them back forward again after she runs. She's got scars on her nose and the top of her head but you have to look close to find them.

She's just a little doll baby. She has taken to our big Blenheim Boy Charley and has this funny habit of licking him (as DM says; "frenching him") on his lips on both sides until he finally gets tired and gives her a little warning growl to stop. It's so funny to watch because he tries to be so patient with her and clenches his mouth shut and turns his head from side to side until she just makes a nuisance of herself.

Her are a few pics of our new addition "Bessie". (Apologize in advance for the poodle pics on a cavvy site) :thnku:

B2.jpg

B5.jpg

Oh is she ever cute! I like poodles when they have those laid-back, all over cuts :) -- they are such smart little dogs too.

Doggydad I know just what you mean. Look at this case:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=13258

I have seen the initial LONG list of charges and pleas in which this woman was let off the hook with reduced charges and minor fines, over and over, though often there would initially be animal cruelty charges. Even when the dogs were FINALLY confiscated, they were returned to her shortly thereafter. And the terms of her federal conviction allowed her to keep all the dogs and she continues to sell them, she just keeps changing her name and the name of her kennel. Go figure. No one seemed to bother to look at the picture built up over time.

Interesting - I've found some additional information about a new location for this person, which I've posted to you privately, Karlin.

Last edited:
Doggydad, your little Bessie is adorable! :lotsaluv:
How much does she weigh - is she about the same size as your two cavvies?

Thats one pretty Poodle, I do much prefer the natural looking hair cut she's sporting.

I just can't understand why attorney Jim Powell would want to defend this lady, I guess she is paying him big time and he has no morals whatsoever. I do think that people who do this to animals have mental problems. Anyone can see that Mary Fair should be locked up for a long time or be sectioned in a mental institution for what amounts to torture.

There are some evil people in this world. It makes my blood boil.

Doggydad, your little Bessie is adorable! :lotsaluv:
How much does she weigh - is she about the same size as your two cavvies?

Naw, she doesn't come close to our two tubbies. Bessie weighs 8-1/2 lbs. We finally have our Charley boy down from 27 to 21 lbs. Our Ruby girl is down to 25 from 27.

The pics of Bessie shown above was shot in April right after DM brought her home. Here she is right after a visit to the groomer today.

B6.jpg

B7.jpg

We live about an hour from there, and when I called about fostering some puppies, I was told they were back in teh care of the women that was charged.
I was dumbfounded to say the least.

It IS enfuriating. If thesw were neglected children, they would never be returned to the care of such people pending a hearing or court case. It seems to be the norm to return dog and cats to those who do not treat them well.

Those pics of Bessie are just adorable. She looks like one happy little dog now. :flwr:

Those pics of Bessie are just adorable. She looks like one happy little dog now. :flwr:

Thanks K.

I posted the story and some pics of our other rescued Poodle (at least that's what we think he is) in a new thread in the "and friends" forum so this thread wouldn't get hijacked.

I thought some of y'all might get a kick out seeing "Hobie" also.

Back