• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

More on dog legislation

Bruce H

Every time I read about something like the Tennessee siezure Karlin just posted about, I think there has GOT to be a way to stop these mills. So far everyone seems to concentrate on the number of dogs that are kept. Unfortunately for breeders like myself, those numbers seem to run in the 5 to 10 dog range before laws that make it financially impossible for the small breeders kick in.

For whatever reason, an idea just hit me that may be equitable for the small breeders and yet make it tough for the puppy mills to exist. Maybe we should be concentrating more on the number of litters produced per year rather than the total number of dogs. If we do that, then it seems to me that automatically cuts the numbers of dogs that the mills have because it's not cost effective to have non-producing dogs.

The reason I have always been against looking at numbers of dogs is that it doesn't recognize how a kennel is managed. To show you what I mean, I'll use our kennel as an example (I can just see Kris' eyes rolling back into her head!). We produce 3 to 4 litters a year; I don't think that's an unreasonable number, given that Kris is a "Stay-at-Home Mom" for the dogs. So let's use 4 litters in my example.

We have 4 breeding age females to produce those 4 litters. We also have to think ahead to when those 4 girls will be too old to breed, so we have to keep 4 more girls (puppies) from our own litters or from other breeders. So far that's eight dogs in our house.

Then for the boys. We like to have at least 2 breeding age boys for our girls so we have the option of using our own rather than going outside for stud service. And, like the girls, we need a couple male puppies to take over when the boys get too old. So now we have 12 in the house.

Of course there's always a risk that we will have a dog or two that has to be taken out of the breeding program because of MVD, SM, or what have you. I won't add to the count for that. But the really tough one is how many of the retired dogs do we keep because we just plain can't bear placing them like we should. Right now we have 3 in that catagory, so the total is up to 15 :shock: (we actually have 16, but we have a retired girl who is being placed in a home as soon as the husband recovers from knee surgery).

So you can see how a kennel with a very modest number of litters per year can have a LOT of dogs. What do you guys think? Do you think having a limit on litters is a better idea? Do you see any holes in my idea? Of course all the laws in the world won't do any good if we don't have the manpower or the judges with the guts to enforce the law.

It sounds to me like each case needs to be evaluated on its own merits, just to be sure. I think there are laws in the UK about how many breeding females you can keep, I'm not sure. I agree it does make more sense to count litters as this indicates ones motives for breeding.

That's really a great way to look at it Bruce. I always enjoy reading a breeder's perspective. Gives me a lot more insight into the issue.

Bruce, I agree with you - it makes good sense.

Ohio's bill is somewhat similar in that you would count only the dogs and bitches who are kept for the purpose of breeding. In your case, that would be a total of 6. If there are 9 or more you would need a license.

If Ohio's bill is 9 or more, at what age do they start counting the dogs and bitches? In my case I have 6 (4 girls, 2 boys) that are being bred, but what about the ones coming up? They won't be bred by me til 2 1/2 years old, but would Ohio believe me if I said that? Depending on the age they use, I could easily be over the 9.

And I don't even mind having a license, heck I am licensed by the City now. Let them inspect all they want, the City currently inspects us once a year. Just don't tell be I have to build dog runs or that they can't be kept in my house because I don't have non-porous floors with floor drains or walls that can be hosed down.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm getting all wound up (I guess I am). Believe me, it's nothing against anyone on this board. It's against the people dreaming up these laws that threaten something that I love and am passionate about. They seem to be throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Bruce, I agree with you - it makes good sense.

Ohio's bill is somewhat similar in that you would count only the dogs and bitches who are kept for the purpose of breeding. In your case, that would be a total of 6. If there are 9 or more you would need a license.

Only the dogs who provided stud services in a calendar year are counted. And only bitches who produced at least one litter in a calendar year. So Ohio would count the dogs, where the litter method wouldn't.

Back