• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Mom of Molly needs support

mhester47

Good morning everyone. Friday late in the day my 10 month old tri was running and playing in the back yard and all of a sudden pulled up short and started limping on her right rear leg. I don't think it's her knee, but her hip. She limps for a few steps then seems to be okay for a few more minutes then she turns or runs again and limps.

I called the vet on Saturday, and he recommeded if we felt it was urgent go to the Emergency vet hospital, or if we felt Molly wasn't too uncomfortable to wait till Monday.

We elected to wait since she was okay most of the time and obviously not in alot of pain. We tried to keep her quiet, but anyone who has a 10 month puppy knows that this is harder than it sounds.

Here's the point. I think it's her hip, and I'm pretty sure the vet will either put a sling or suggest other methods. My mind knows this.

I'm so wrapped up in this little dog though that it breaks my heart to see this. I am rational and know she will be okay, but my stomach is knots waiting to go to the vet. I have never felt this way about a dog and I have had many dogs. I just never had Cavaliers and I dont' understand how this little dog can steal my heart so.

So everyone, think good thoughts today and lets hope Molly can be fixed without surgery. Has anyone had a similar problem with their Cavs?

Keep us in your thoughts.

So sorry you are having to worry in this way! :flwr: I think it would be more likely to be her knee though she may be favouring the whole leg. The vet is either going to recommend crate rest, no jumping up, very controlled activity, til you see if it heals, or will be quickly able to diagnose a patella or hip problem, I should think. Try not to worry til you know whether you even have something to worry about, and keep her activity levels as low key as you can. :xfngr: Sometimes they just pull a muscle or get a sprain or strain.

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm just a typical mom I guess. Worried beyond belief.

I know the people on this board would understand though.

Maria

Maria, I am sure everyone on this board knows how you feel and the emotions you are going through. Please let us know what your vet says about your little Molly. Good luck, and I will be thinking of you this morning.

Thank you. I knew you would all understand. Can anyone tell me why these little pups get to us so? Well on the way to the vet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Of course we understand :luv: That's the beauty of this place. Jake was limping last week and I was so concerned about him. Turned out he had just pulled something and 48 hours later was totally fine. Hope Molly will be okay. Could very well just be a pull or sprain.

Dr. is keeping Molly for an x-ray. She never eats breakfast and today she did so they have to wait until the food is out of her stomach. Vet thinks its patella luxation, grade 2 as he did get the kneecap to come out while he moved her leg. He also said her eyes were red and that is a sign that her blood pressure was elevated. He mentioned it because while he was pulling her leg, and wiggling it all around, she never made a peep. The vet said that since she doesn't show pain that if we ever see her eyes red we will know she is under stress. Has anyone heard of this?

We will know more later. I'm not sure I'm okay yet. Won't be until we have a diagnosis. The vet did say we have to keep her quiet. I think this is hardest on me because she is always so bouncy and playful. But we will if means no surgery. You see I'm my own worse enemy because I search on the intranet and psych myself out.

Again, thank you all for listening to me.

I wish you all the best. I also have a 10 month Molly (Ruby, though), and every time she is sick, we both get very tearful, worried and all choked up.
The best of luck :hug:

I am so sorry to hear about Molly. I can say for sure that I know exactly what you're going through right now. Kosmo was the same about a month ago and I thought it was his hip. It seemed to get better but then it got worse. I took him to the vet this last tues. she diagnosed it as a patellar luxation, got x-rays thursday, and now he has surgery this thursday for it. :yikes

Anyways, I am going through the exact same thing right now so if you need anybody to talk to, feel free to PM me ;)

I hope Molly starts feeling better soon and the luxation is not too bad!! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers! :xfngr:

~Sara

Molly has a sprain and mild patella luxation. No surgery now. I'm am so relieved. Now we have to keep her quite for 1 week. I will do my best. Tie her to me and that's where she will stay. Silly dog.

Thanks everyone for your support. I couldn't have made it through the day without you all.

Maria

It sounds like you and Molly will be doing a lot of cuddling this next week....I am so glad Molly doesn't have to have surgery.

I hope Molly feels better soon.:flwr:

To keep her quiet, you can also use baby gates or an x-pen. This would help keep her from jumping on/off furniture.

I have noticed that Geordie's eyes get a little blood shot when he is stressed. As soon as he is back to his familiar home, his eyes are back to normal.

I have noticed that Geordie's eyes get a little blood shot when he is stressed. As soon as he is back to his familiar home, his eyes are back to normal

I learn something new every day! I had no idea stress could equal blood shot eyes. Putting that in my little encyclopedia of info! ;)

hope molly is much better
When Smudge was 10 months old he had a problem with one of his legs and was limping.Fortunately nothing serious. The vet gave him an anti inflammatory jab and we had to keep him as quite as we could.He did say that smudge was doing too much too soon he should not have been playing ball and running so much until ater his first bithday when he was more developed.He is 5 now and still loves his tennis ball plus ayone elses.He also liked haweye during wimbledon and couldn't work out where all the balls went to.My husband has thought of trying to get him a job as a ball boy (sorry ball dog)
The very best of luck in keeping molly quiet.
alevrob smudge'smum

Sorry to hear about Molly's problems. Do you have her crate trained? This is the very best way of keeping her quiet. If you do not have a crate, now might be a really good time to get one and start training her, as this is invaluable for when they are sick or need to be kept quiet.

I hope she heals up fast. :flwr:

Update 7/30. Wow what a hard week on both the pup and mom. We tried to keep Molly quiet, and yes she is crate trained, but that darn puppy. We would take her outside to do her business and even on a short leash she would run around me and jump. My husband and I would lay on the floor one on either side of her to keep her quiet. She has more energy. I'm exhausted keeping her quiet. Her knee still goes out maybe once a day, but it definitely not as bad and goes right back in. We still have her on Metacam, which leads me to another question (and I will also ask the vet). Can I give her the heartworm pill and use front guard or will there be a reaction and should I wait.

Also, I've been reading all about food and eating and Molly has never been a good eater. I even tried the Satin balls on the board and she eats them sometimes. So I don't stress anymore. She still seems to be growing and the vet is not worried.

But again, thank you everyone for helping me through this last week.

Sorry to hear your baby has been in pain and that you are so worried about her!! It is indeed very hard to keep a young one quiet when injured! I had a 14 week old puppy dislocate her shoulder very badly, and it was awful having to confine her so much when all she wanted was to play, it was worth it in the end as I am sure you will soon find out. Hang on in there, it sounds like things are going well there, :xfngr: for a speedy recover hopefully without any need for surgery. A big kiss and a very gentle:hug: for Molly from me, and a :hug: for you as well!!

Back