• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Back on the horse

Cathy T

Well, we returned to the "scene of the crime" from last week....Fiesta Island. Shelby was very different. She was very hesitant and really stuck by my side (she's always run off ahead of me). Any time a bigger dog came down the beach she just froze. But we had a good outing. We stuck to the beach and just stayed about 45 minutes. Enough time for her to greet some dogs and get wet in the water.

Broke my heart to see her hesitation. I've loved Fiesta because she would run full out and it was so fun to watch. We'll go again next week and hopefully she'll get back to herself and start having fun again. I didn't coddle or protect her. Every time she approached a bigger dog I'd praise for her being a good girl.

I think I was more nervous than she was and maybe she picked up on that. My stomach was just in knots....but we both needed to go back and get through it.

That's really tough to reurn and then see such a cautious reaction. And very difficult for you, too -- I bet you would be constantly scanning the beach for potentially aggressive dogs. :confused: I am sure it will get better now -- it was the right thing to do for the dogs and for you. I hope it quickly gets all its positive associations back! :flwr:

Awww, that would have been tough for all of you. My stomach would have been doing loop the loops too. You've done the right thing by addressing the fear head on, but it would have been hard, for sure. :flwr:

Oh Cathy that was really brave - well done you. Must have been so hard, I know I would have been a nervous wreck too.

I'm sure with time Shelby will forget what's happened, the more positive experiences she has, the better - you are doing all the right things.

You will feel more confident too, and that will help Shelby.

I'm glad you took shelby back and she did so well. It must have been difficult for you in time both of you will be more relaxed I don't know if any of you will ever forget that horrible experience.
judy

Good for your Cathy! Don't let that once incident ruin your favorite play place! I'm sure Shelby will get over it very soon...just give her a few more very positive visits and she'll be back to her romping self!

Oh my gosh. I had missed the original post somehow. I'm so sorry this happened, how terrifying Wow, you really are good in a crisis, you did all the "right" things!! I'm glad you didn't pick her up and run out of there right away. Bringing her back is so smart, she'll gradually gain more confidence within that area, and short, frequent visits is the way to do it.
Curious as to how Jake reacted, was he protective or scared off?
Sometimes when Abbey gets overwhelmed by a dog that won't leave her alone, she starts to yelp loudly. Gus then steps in and gets really protective, and so far it's worked, even with bigger dogs--they back off.

Oh gosh, how horrible....I missed the original post too! I am so glad to hear that Shelby is alright!

Curious as to how Jake reacted, was he protective or scared off?

I don't know :) I was so focused and zoned in on Shelby I just have no idea what Jake was doing. It mustn't have been much because he never got my attention. But....when it was all over, he was all over both of us. And yesterday he kept barking at Shelby when she would go in the water. It was kind of sweet....he stuck pretty close to her yesterday.

Back