Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are 2 dogs really better than 1?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are 2 dogs really better than 1?

We're debating and debating about getting Ruby a new brother or sister sometime in the next year. I'm already talking with a few breeders that I got from the ckcsc.org website just to get some info about their litters. Ruby takes a long time to warm up to other dogs, and I'm concerned she'd be upset if we brought home another dog. It's just that we're both gone a lot (only a few days a week), and I was wondering if it would be better for her to have a companion to keep her company. Any advice?? Do some of you that have more than 1 think it's best that way? I'm just really in limbo about this. We're not even thinking about getting another puppy until Ruby has gotten completely housetrained and has developed the habits that we would want a puppy to follow. I would just feel better if we could make a decision and start the process of searching for the right breeder for us.
    Jessica, mom to Ruby, 1 yr. old blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

Jake and Shelby say...yes! We got Shelby when Jake was about 18 months old. Perfect age. He was good at training her
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think two is better than one. It's nice for them to have a companion to share everything with. Plus they have a doggy playmate for chasing and wrestling!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In a word, "yes!"
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I learned that two is definitely better than one!

Then, I learned that three is infinitely better than two!!

Finally, I learned that four is magnificently better than three!!!

I'm now wondering if five just might be even better than four?!?

I think you may be catching my drift?

I think that one dog must be terribly lonely without another of its kind around. When I decided to bring my fourth home, I did wonder if my tri Bentley would adjust because he lives in a world of his own . He is the "loner" of my four dogs. It took Bentley about a week to adjust to Clancy and they are very good friends now. Clancy helped Bentley come out of his shell quite a bit and helped him have fun playing.
    ~not knowing how near the truth is,
    we seek it far away~

Post Thanks / Like

Well I was asking myself if I really wanted a 3rd dog..My lab is 9 1/2 years old and tho would occasionally play with Robbie..Robbie would generally entertain himself..when the opportunity came to get Cedar I had to think really hard but turns out it was one of the best things I've done..he and Robbie love to play and chase and wrestle..
    Debbie, Riley and Robbie

Post Thanks / Like

Like Barb says... the more the merrier.

We have five now... a Cocker, a Saint Bernard, two Cavaliers, and a Cav/Cocker mix. The Saint is the only one that really doesn't 'fit' with any of the others, but she's always been a loner... even when we had another Saint. The smaller dogs keep each other entertained whenever they're awake.

KC

Post Thanks / Like

2 dogs is definitely better than 1. Some dogs are naturally more independent than others (or a loner as someone described them above) - Cassie was like this but even so if Honey was missing for awhile she would go around the house looking for her. When Cassie died, Honey was distraught and started getting very anxious - not wanting to be left on her own so we decided to get a companion for her (and ended up taking home two )
    Casshon

Molly (Blenheim) & Bella (Tri)
    Honey, Cassie & Tiki (Cavalier Angels)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BarbMazz View Post
    I learned that two is definitely better than one!

Then, I learned that three is infinitely better than two!!

Finally, I learned that four is magnificently better than three!!!

I'm now wondering if five just might be even better than four?!?

Oh yes, FIVE is definitely better than 4

It makes interesting! There's always someone wanting a cuddle or to be played with...

and two is better than one - I always think that Cavaliers are lonely on their own, they need someone to cuddle up with and play with. Generally they adapt really well to new companions - although like people, they have their special friends and others whom they are not as close to. I would wait until your puppy is at least 9 -12 months and fully trained to introduce another puppy - you will find it much easier with the 2nd one then.Trying to train two youngsters together is very hard.

On a more serious note, if you are going up to a greater numbers, you need to look at the practical considerations too - most importantly money - feeding, vets bills etc; time - have you the time to train, exercise, groom more dogs; someone to look after them all if you have to go away for any reason; transporting them in the car - maybe we are a bit different from others as ours always come everywhere with us, but can you get them all safely in the car?

Don't mean to sound negative, but it's all things we have to consider...

Our lives now totally revolve around the dogs - even moreso than before...but we are happy with that
    Last edited by Nicki; 25th July 2007 at 10:02 AM.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

First greatest thing I ever did was find my Teddy...second greatest thing????
    Bringing home his little niece last summer !
    I love watching them being dogs!
    Of course, I LIVE for their cuddles and love!
    Nancy
    Teddy and Katydid