• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Are 2 dogs really better than 1?

nursejess80

We're debating and debating about getting Ruby a new brother or sister sometime in the next year. I'm already talking with a few breeders that I got from the ckcsc.org website just to get some info about their litters. Ruby takes a long time to warm up to other dogs, and I'm concerned she'd be upset if we brought home another dog. It's just that we're both gone a lot (only a few days a week), and I was wondering if it would be better for her to have a companion to keep her company. Any advice?? Do some of you that have more than 1 think it's best that way? I'm just really in limbo about this. We're not even thinking about getting another puppy until Ruby has gotten completely housetrained and has developed the habits that we would want a puppy to follow. I would just feel better if we could make a decision and start the process of searching for the right breeder for us.

Jake and Shelby say...yes! ;) We got Shelby when Jake was about 18 months old. Perfect age. He was good at training her :)

I think two is better than one. It's nice for them to have a companion to share everything with. Plus they have a doggy playmate for chasing and wrestling! :D

I learned that two is definitely better than one!

Then, I learned that three is infinitely better than two!!

Finally, I learned that four is magnificently better than three!!!

I'm now wondering if five just might be even better than four?!?

I think you may be catching my drift? ;)

I think that one dog must be terribly lonely without another of its kind around. When I decided to bring my fourth home, I did wonder if my tri Bentley would adjust because he lives in a world of his own :rolleyes: . He is the "loner" of my four dogs. It took Bentley about a week to adjust to Clancy and they are very good friends now. Clancy helped Bentley come out of his shell quite a bit and helped him have fun playing.

Well I was asking myself if I really wanted a 3rd dog..My lab is 9 1/2 years old and tho would occasionally play with Robbie..Robbie would generally entertain himself..when the opportunity came to get Cedar I had to think really hard but turns out it was one of the best things I've done..he and Robbie love to play and chase and wrestle..

Like Barb says... the more the merrier.

We have five now... a Cocker, a Saint Bernard, two Cavaliers, and a Cav/Cocker mix. The Saint is the only one that really doesn't 'fit' with any of the others, but she's always been a loner... even when we had another Saint. The smaller dogs keep each other entertained whenever they're awake.

KC

2 dogs is definitely better than 1. Some dogs are naturally more independent than others (or a loner as someone described them above) - Cassie was like this but even so if Honey was missing for awhile she would go around the house looking for her. When Cassie died, Honey was distraught and started getting very anxious - not wanting to be left on her own so we decided to get a companion for her (and ended up taking home two :rolleyes:)

I learned that two is definitely better than one!

Then, I learned that three is infinitely better than two!!

Finally, I learned that four is magnificently better than three!!!

I'm now wondering if five just might be even better than four?!?

Oh yes, FIVE is definitely better than 4 :D :D

It makes :dogwlk: interesting! There's always someone wanting a cuddle or to be played with...

and two is better than one - I always think that Cavaliers are lonely on their own, they need someone to cuddle up with and play with. Generally they adapt really well to new companions - although like people, they have their special friends and others whom they are not as close to. I would wait until your puppy is at least 9 -12 months and fully trained to introduce another puppy - you will find it much easier with the 2nd one then.Trying to train two youngsters together is very hard.

On a more serious note, if you are going up to a greater numbers, you need to look at the practical considerations too - most importantly money - feeding, vets bills etc; time - have you the time to train, exercise, groom more dogs; someone to look after them all if you have to go away for any reason; transporting them in the car - maybe we are a bit different from others as ours always come everywhere with us, but can you get them all safely in the car?

Don't mean to sound negative, but it's all things we have to consider...

Our lives now totally revolve around the dogs - even moreso than before...but we are happy with that :D

Last edited:
First greatest thing I ever did was find my Teddy...second greatest thing????
Bringing home his little niece last summer;) !
I love watching them being dogs!
Of course, I LIVE for their cuddles and love!

Jaspar takes a long time to warm to other dogs, too -- he is friendly, he just isn;t all that interested in meeting dogs. He was quite miffed when Leo showed up but they were fast friends within weeks and seeing them interact was such a pleasure. I think it was very beneficial to Jaspar to have a companion and it also has helped him accept other dogs from Lily to various foster dogs. I think a dog always benefits from a companion if it is at all possible to have one! :)

Nicki makes very good points. I definitely agree it's best to wait until your current pup is older.

I brought my second dog home when my first was just over a year old. It was harder than the subsequent additions, which were spaced a bit more. My first dog is a Golden Retriever, and he was still very puppy-like (well, still IS puppy-like! :D ). Now, that could be the breed, too. He was a very relentless young dog!!

The third one (Bentley) came home when the youngest dog was two, and my Golden was three. That was a just-about-seamless addition... no transition time at all, and the older two definitely helped train Bentley!

Also, the cost of more dogs is definitely a factor! I recently had three of mine to the vets, and the bill came to $426us. That was for:
Office visit, one rabies booster, two DAP vaccines, two heart worm checks, two 6 month packets of heart worm preventative, and an ear check, plus ear medication for an ear infection.

Yes, I agree with what has already been said-- IF you have the time and money, two dogs (or more :p ) are great. I have one at the vet today who has/had something in her stomach that wasn't moving. Hopefully today I will be able to bring her home, she has been at the vet since 8:00 am Monday. I think my other dogs realize she isn't here also :(.

We definately agree with everyone else....2's better than 1...and 3's better than 2, Our 2 Cavalier girls tend to run about daft wi each other...it's great fun to watch......where as Jake our Lab, who's a little bit older gets left in peace to just chill out....he sometimes joins in....but just gets tied in knots by the girls...they run rings round him :rolleyes:

Yes, I agree with what has already been said-- IF you have the time and money, two dogs (or more :p ) are great. I have one at the vet today who has/had something in her stomach that wasn't moving. Hopefully today I will be able to bring her home, she has been at the vet since 8:00 am Monday. I think my other dogs realize she isn't here also :(.

Hope your dog gets home today and is feeling better

Thanks- I had thought Elle was coming home yesterday- they decided to keep her another night - I have been sick with worry.

I hope Elle comes home to you today, sending her a big :hug: :hug: from our bunch :flwr:

Sandy - hope Elle is okay. Please keep us updated on her. I'll be thinking about you.

Thanks Cathy. I called the vet AGAIN (I figure if I nag, he'll want her home as much as I do-lol) he said he believes he will release her tonight. Whatever was in her stomach is Now moved into the intestines. She didn't vomit anything up.

The tech that is in charge of her care called my daughter last night. They put her in the ICU (Just because it is quieter) and they checked on her every chance they get. She was rolling over (even with the leg splinted for the IV) to get her tummy rubs. :rah:

Put it like this. This time last yr. i had just got Sally. Today in my kitchen looking up at me are 5. Apart from Sally the rest are all rescues, the 5th sitting here a lovely old man call Trix who hopfully will be going to his retirment home soon.
I have found they are easier to mind they are happy to be left alone for awhile as they have each other for company.

Back