• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy covered with paint!

Hi!

Oh the poor little Love!! :hug: As the others have said, accidents happen and don't beat yourself up over this, the main thing is that Sally was seen as soon as possible, like Karlin has said I had no idea that an oil based paint could cause such a bad reaction in a dog so I have learnt from your experience as well and will stick to emulsion paint!!

A big kiss and a very gentle :hug: for Sally, her coat will come back in it's own time don't worry about that, a nice natural supplement you could give her is Evening Primrose Oil, Wheatgerm Oil or Fish Oils, regular gentle brushing with a natural bristle brush or even a babies hairbrush if you can find one, will stimulate blood circulation and encourage coat growth too!!

Thanks Cathryn for your help. Can I buy these in the pet shop? Maybe Pets at Home? I'm going to have to buy the spray that freezes runny diarrhoea so I can clean up after her more easily! Has anyone used this spray?

Hi!

Try your local Holland and Barrett, or any good chemist or health food store will sell them, but wait until her tummy settles down a little as they can "loosen" things slightly. Try giving her a spoonful, 5mls, of Kaolin and Morphine 2-3 times a day to settle her tummy as well, works wonders!!

Well we're off to the vets tomorrow again. Can't wait to see how Sally is recovering. Hopefully we can take her buster collar off and she'll get the all clear to go for walks without risking infection.

We're having a lot of difficulty getting Sally to eat anything at the moment. We've recently swapped her food to Junior James Wellbeloved and she just won't eat it. She'll have a go if I put Tuna in spring water on the top but then she won't eat all the kibble. It's very worrying as don't want her to lose weight. She is still playful and passing urine and opening bowels but don't want her to lose her brightness. Her poo has firmed up again now - no more diarrhoea and the antibiotics have now finished.

Any suggestions to get her to eat? Also is Tuna in spring water ok for her? Was worried about the salt in brine.

I'm sorry to hear about little Sally. It sounds like she's on the mend--great news! I'm so glad I read your post since I'm going to paint my kitchen cabinets sometime in the coming weeks and I wouldn't have known about the hazards of oil based paint. I know it's little consolation, but your story has definitely helped me and Mia! :)

Hugs to you and Sally from my crew!

I really have to THANK YOU for sharing this story......

We are just getting ready to do our annual painting of the house and ALWAYS use Oil Based Paint.....One of my dogs could have brushed up aginst the house and I most likly wouldnt have thought anything of it~ But becouse of your story Ill now be careful to keep them away from the house!

Wow! I just now am catching this story. I never would have thought about the paint burning her. Excellent thinking on your part!! So glad you were able to get her to the vet right away before the burn was worse. I never would have thought of this. Glad she seems to be on the mend. Give her extra kisses from me!

Well we're off to the vets tomorrow again. Can't wait to see how Sally is recovering. Hopefully we can take her buster collar off and she'll get the all clear to go for walks without risking infection.

We're having a lot of difficulty getting Sally to eat anything at the moment. We've recently swapped her food to Junior James Wellbeloved and she just won't eat it. She'll have a go if I put Tuna in spring water on the top but then she won't eat all the kibble. It's very worrying as don't want her to lose weight. She is still playful and passing urine and opening bowels but don't want her to lose her brightness. Her poo has firmed up again now - no more diarrhoea and the antibiotics have now finished.

Any suggestions to get her to eat? Also is Tuna in spring water ok for her? Was worried about the salt in brine.
You might want to try this Satin Balls recipe. Several people have tried it and had good results. Try mixing up a small batch to see if she likes it:
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=10131

I'm so glad our story has helped others. I definitely wouldn't like to see another dog go through what Sally has. It's great she's on the mend now :D . Thanks for that recipe Cathy I shall have a go at that soon to see if she likes it! She's becoming a fussy little madam!

How is Sally doing now? We haven't heard for a while and I'm just hoping its because Sally is back to being her little happy Cavalier self. Would you be able to give us an update, please?

Thanks for asking about Sally. She's doing really well and her fur is starting to grow back now. She's eating and drinking normally again and the best thing for her is she can now go out! it was so difficult keeping her in and entertaining her. She was spayed 11 days ago and had her stitches out yesterday and it's healed very well. She's been through it all over the last month but now it's all out the way she can be happy again. I'll never let her near any paint again!!

That's wonderful news! Thank you so much for bringing us up to date. We kinda needed some good news, I think! Thanks, again

YIPPEE - Sally's all better!!!

:rah: WONDERFUL!! I am so glad to hear that Sally's troubles are behind her now! Onwards and upwards now, give her a huge kiss and a:hug: from me won;t you? (As if you really need an excuse...icon_whistling ) :lotsaluv:

Back