• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Kennel Club Name???

Furry_Monster

We have just got our 1st Cavalier and she is brill!!!! Settled in really well. Cats not too sure!!! One is terrified of her!!!. We have all the Kennel Club information for her. But we are not 100% keen on her name. We won't be using it for showing or breeding so I suppose it doesn't really matter too much. But would prefer a "nicer" name. Does anyone know if we have all the info if we are allowed to change the name. So long as there are not others with the same name? Just wondering. This is furry monsters mum!!

Usually no. The breeder generally chooses the registered name and pet owner s will almost never ever use it -- so it doesn't really matter. Some breeders let owners pick a registered name but honestly -- you will probably never ever use it again so it really won't matter. The registered name is important inasmuch as the prefix or suffix can be key to identifying the dog, and changing these can actually create legal problems -- because only certain kennels in certain situations can use a prefix or suffix to identifty their dogs or a dog bred for another kennel. The breeder has the full right to name their own dogs with the registered name and often these are done according to a breeder's own system (eg around themes or alphahebetically).

Both my registered dogs have names I don't like, but I never use them, only their call name... so it makes no difference to me. :) No one ever looks at that paperwork but me (and researchers who have used the MRI information).

Thanks I did think something along those lines. I have horses and i know my horse came with her name which is from the stud but that is nice. Colourville Calanthe. But pups name seems be have neither a prefix or a suffix in it. ie no names from either of her parents or grandparents to follow the line. if you you know what I mean. She told me when we went to pick the pup that all the pups were being named after flowers. Nice I thought. But ours has come through called Dandelion Bride. Love the Bride bit. But the Dandelion makes her sound like a weed!!!. Dandelion isn't used in any of the pups parents names either. As I said. Will live with it as it is kind of unusual and we won't be showing or breeding as she is a family dog.

The registered name doesn't have to have the parents names in it. For example Dylan's name is "Muffity My Baby Dylan".

"Muffity" is the kennel name, "My Baby" is his line (all the male dogs from his sire are called "My Baby"), and I chose the call name "Dylan" which the breeder registered him with.

harry's kennel name is silver sereph or something like that i can never spell it lol, all i know is that it's a type of car, as his normal name was Bentley when we got him but that seemed a little too posh for us so we renamed him Harry with his breeders consent.

Hi!

Only the breeder can name a puppy and they will often name them as Karlin has pointed out to their own theme etc. Sometimes if they know particular pups will be being sold before they register them they will ask the new owner if they have a particular name in mind? But often puppies are registered before they are even viewed so as to have all the paperwork to hand to go with the puppy when it goes to it's forever home. If you have your own affix/kennel name then it can be added on to the end of the puppies name (suffix), it is however almost £100 just to get your own kennel name then there is an annual maintenace fee payable to the kennel club to keep it!

Back