• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

puppy or 1 year old?

1 year old puppy

I think I'm going to ask if we can meet a few times with my kids there and see how the dog acts. I don't think he's been around kids that much. He is beautiful. Such a rich ruby color! He's 15 pounds, which I think is a bit bigger than average?
Thanks for all the responses! I'll let you know what we decide.
Donna

I totally agree that the socialization aspect is very important. Mia is sweet to the bone, but evidently wasn't socialized as a puppy and so she is very shy of people and terrified of children. She's good with me and one of my good friends who she has stayed with when I'm out of town. But she would never venture up to a stranger on her own. At the dog park, she'll occasionally tentatively approach a stranger, but if they stoop down to pet her, she darts away. This makes me sort of sad when I see it. It's like very few people get to see the Mia I see. She's so funny and cute and SO sweet. Most people don't see that side of her, unfortunately. Though I wouldn't trade her for anything...ever--I'll know better what to look for in the way of socialization with my next pup.

Good luck--we want to see pictures! :)

Donna -
Actually 15 lbs is right in the middle of the breed standard - from 12-18 lbs. He sounds perfect!

Here is how I get my pictures to show. First upload to photobucket.
Then when you want to put a picture in your post, copy the URL that starts with and paste it.

Can't wait to see him!

My Maggie was 81/2 months old when we brought her home. She really didn't have that much socialization before hand, spent those months in a kennel. The only consistent human contact was with the breeder, who kept her that long in hopes of breeding her, but she turned out to be on the small side - 11 lbs.

I worried she would have real issues, but when the breeder turned her over to me, she jumped up on my leg and begged me to pick her up. She is an absolute love sponge, taking every opportunity to curl up on my lap or settle in the crook of my husband's neck when he's sleeping.

The fact that she was kenneled for so long means she's wonderfully crate trained so she doesn't make a fuss when we put her in it.

And she adores children...they are her favourite people, I think because they are closer to her in size.

Back