• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Taking my cav on a plane?

bonniepirate

Hi all.

My husband and I will be travelling from the UK to the USA quite soon and we possibly will be there for about a month, if not longer and are considering taking her with us.

Unfortunately she is too big to go under the seat and thus would have to be placed in the hold - which is where I have a huge problem - has anyone ever traveled with their dog in the 'luggage area'? I just don't know if it will be too stressful for her (and me), I can leave her with my parents - but I would rather have her with us, and don't really want to impose on them for that long.

The longest leg of the flight would be about 7 and a half hours. Maybe it's just too long?

Thanks in advance.

Have never travelled to the U.S sadly, but did send a couple of puppies out there 6 years back. I don't think any of the airlines allow the passengers to travel in the luggage hold with their dogs. I would imagine that if your girl is anything like my lot she will sleep most of the way anyhow. I do know that when my pups went over it was with BA and the cabin crew went down every hour to check on them and make sure they had water, they arrived at their destination safe and sound and in the words of their very excited new owner "Trotted out of their box as if they had never even been on a long haul flight"

Hope this helps?

Thanks Cathryn,
I appreciate hearing a positive reply - I think I worded my original post slightly wrong - I didn't expect to personally be allowed in the luggage hold - although, that would be great haha!

I didn't realise the stewards can have access down there, if I knew someone was checking on her I'd feel a lot better too.

Thanks again

Hi Katie!

No probs!! Check with the airline you are travelling with as to what their policy is. You will need to get a "Fitness to Travel" Certificate from your vet 48-96 hours before the journey and make sure that your carrier is the right size for her, your vet can check this out, he will have the ministry regualtion charts available and will measure both your dog and the proposed carrier to make sure both are appropiate!

Hope you all have a good time whatever the outcome!!

Back