• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anal Sac Disease

I've never heard of a disease called "Anal Sac Disease" I know that sometimes their anal sacs need to be expressed and I've heard of a ruptured anal sac...but not an actual disease.

If your dogs anal sacs are full they can become infected. The infection can become quite serious, forming a pocket of infection called an abscess. This is very painful for the dog, and often requires a general anesthetic and surgical procedure to empty and clean it, followed by several days of taking antibiotics.

Dogs' anal sacs or glands normally empty when the dog poos, if the poos are firm. Dogs having diarrhea cannot empty their anal sacs, so the sacs can fill up. That's why it's important to feed your dog a good, wholesome diet that agrees with the dog. Some dogs have sensitivities to ingredients, which causes their poo to not be firm enough.

If you see your cav scooting, it could be a sign that his/her anal sacs need to be checked by the vet. The vet can empty the anal sacs.

I hadn;t heard of this described as a 'disease' either but when I googled it, that term does come up. Just seems to be referring to impacted or infected anal sacs.

Small breeds can be more prone to them because the openings to the sacs are apparently smaller. Roughage and a good diet helps prevent problems but some cavaliers are more prone than others, by all accounts.

BTW cavaliers tend to scoot anyway. While scooting in some breeds may almost always be a sign that anal glands need emptying or a problem, cavaliers just seem to sccot...

I've found that finding the right foods for each dog really helps prevent any anal sac problems. (y)

Back