• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hair everywhere!

sinecurea

Hi Folks,
Every time I go near Ruby, I always come away covered in hairs!
Is it normal for a Cav to shed so much? Does this stop after a certain amount of time? She's nearly a year old now.

Steve.

Hi Folks,
Every time I go near Ruby, I always come away covered in hairs!
Is it normal for a Cav to shed so much? Does this stop after a certain amount of time? She's nearly a year old now.

Steve.

Yes, it is normal to a point, no it doesn't get much better. Cavaliers have a shedding coat- during stress, illness and hot weather- mine shed more. I live in a multi dog home and I am starting to choose my clothes colors by whether or not they will show dog hair. LOL

I am having the same problem with Chester at the moment. I have been brushing him to try & keep on top of it but it seems to be getting me nowhere.

I ordered a Furminator today that everyone seems to rave about to see if that helps.

Like Sandy, we have multiple dogs and are forever thinking about how something we buy will go with dog hair. I'll bet we go through at least 2 of those masking tape-type lint rollers a month. We buy them in bulk at Sam's Club.

Ill never forget when I had to have my photos taken for a board I sit on....to be framed in the hallway of the building where our meetings are held~

The photographer asked me to point out the one I liked best and I quickly pointed to one, he said Wow....That was fast...why that one?

I said the photo showed the least amount of dog hair.....:D

I have 5 cavs here at the moment. I have just hoovered 3 times down stairs today as the amount of hair is not funny. I brush there hair every day with a normal dog brush and every other day with a ferminator and u wouldnt believe the amount of hair that removes. The worst part is that my kids like walking around in there socks and the amount of hair they pick up on them is terrible. Also i found the only way to get rid of the hairs when i have washed and dried the clothes is to put them into the tumble drier.
The joys of owning a cav(or 5)

I wonder if the rubies/blens shed more? Holly always shed the hair-bunnies, but I never remember hair coming off her the way it comes off Amber! Or maybe it's just that I notice it more...

Oh you guys crack me up!!! :lol:

I burn out approx 3 vacuum's a year with my cuddle, like Bruce, furniture and carpeting is chosen with a view to how much it will show up the dog hair, and I have a magnet on my fridge which bears the legend

"NO OUTFIT IS COMPLETE WITHOUT DOGHAIR!" :lol: :rotfl:

This is why I wear a lot of denim and grey! With two tris I'm shot if I wear white or black. My guys get combed and brushed every couple of days and that helps. But right after a bath they shed like crazy for the first day.

Can u imagine my work uniform it is black trousers, black shirt and black apron. :) I try not to put it on me till the last sec.

Hmm this is why i vowed to only have wholecolours ,lol
But we've ended up with a blenhiem rescue cav. She sheds more than any other dog ive had. I got a bin full of hair off her with a stripping comb last week but she's still shedding

Well black is my most favourite colour & my wardrobe is full of it. :rolleyes: From now on I'll be having to steer clear of buying black because it is impossible to keep my guy's hair off it.

The best thing we have found for removing hair are the lint rollers that use the masking tape. I have to wear a coat and tie to work, so I go through a lot of those.

BTW, our corrent vacume cleaner just bit the dust so I bought a Dyson Animal yesterday. I swallowed hard at the price, but OMG does that thing ever work great.

I love how it beats the hair up off the rugs. :lol: Scary how much hair is in the cannister after -- there's like a tablespoon of dust and three pounds of hair. :shock:

The best thing we have found for removing hair are the lint rollers that use the masking tape. I have to wear a coat and tie to work, so I go through a lot of those.

Those things are great. I use them too. I wear a black skirt & jacket to work also, but my stretegy in the morning when I am having my cuppa, is to put a long dressing gown on over my clothes until am about to step out the door. My dressing gown is now fondly known as my "Cavalier armour".

BTW, our corrent vacume cleaner just bit the dust so I bought a Dyson Animal yesterday. I swallowed hard at the price, but OMG does that thing ever work great.

I'd love to try one of these out. The price of them here are like "mortgage the house" time.

Someone told me they shed more in the summer, so :xfngr: that it gets better when it starts to cool down. I'm not the best housekeeper so I don't vacuum nearly enough (it's just me and Molly in my house, and I know she doesn't mind :D ). But it's kind of discouraging when you vacuum and swiffer like mad and as soon as you put it all away, the fur is back!!

I was just reading another post on here somewhere about how often people vacuum. Guess this is a popular topic we can all commiserate on. ;)

-laura

Faith is blowing her puppy coat right now and the hair around the house is just ridiculous. Kosmo has more fine and thin hair where as Faith's is THICK. She's losing so much hair it's absolutely unbelievable. I showered her on Saturday and I gave her a brush down while she was conditioned - she clogged the drain! icon_blshing icon_blshing

I am now washing the sheets every other day (I hope she quits this soon!) so that we don't end up waking up with a mouth and nose full of dog hair and also I have to vacuum every other day to get it all up off the floor. Wood floors are a life saver.

We have a BEAM-Central Vacuum System. I think they are a bit pricier than the dyson animal vacs, but boy does it ever work wonders!! I can just suck it up and there's a gigantic canister that I clean out every other week. The BEAM also has attachments that you can use ON your dog to help with the hair..

Faith tries to eat the vac every time it's on (she thinks it's a game) but if it keeps up, I might look into the shedding vacuum tools.. :badgrin::badgrin:

At what age do cavies blow their puppy coats?

Bella suddenly started shedding like crazy when we went to the vets on Friday. She just turned 10 weeks.

Perhaps it was stress or heat or something?

Back