• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

High Protein food

Holly

I went to the Pet store today and bought Orijen dry food. They have been eating Innova, but I thought I'd try this for some variety as I have heard good things about it. The guy at the pet store said it is all protein with no grains and that it can cause kidney problems if you feed it over a long period of time. It is similar to Innova EVO, I think.

This is the second time I have heard this. Anyone know anything about whether this is true or not??

I don't know anything about those pet foods, but if you are concerned about the lack of carbs in the food, I personally wouldn't worry about that. Dogs do not normally eat large amounts of carbs and there are some schools of thought that suggest carbs are an unnatural food for dogs other than in tiny quantities. A no grain diet is often prescribed for dogs that have siezures or arthritis.

I would also take anything the pet store has to say about the foods with a grain of salt, because their interest is really in the $, not the wellbeing of your dog. They usually push the one that gives them the greatest markup. Do you own research on this. Did the packet have what ingredients are in it, or maybe you could go check out their web site if they have one.

The first ingredients on the food are: fresh chicken meat, chicken meal, turkey meal, seamed russet potato, Northern Whitefish, chicken fat, whole eggs, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, tapioco, chicken broth, flaxseed, Atlantic kelp, steamed carrots, peas, and tomatoes.....and a whole list of different vitamins, herbs, etc...

Back