• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Guinness Scared of his Lead!!!

Harvey

Hi everyone

Our puppy Guinness is scared of his lead, he panic's the minute you put the lead on and he wont walk. He just starts thrashing about trying to get away from it.

We never had this problem with Harvey and so are not sure what to do???

Any ideas???

Thanks

Put his lead on & leave him with it on to get used to it. Just like you would have done with his collar, let him drag it around! Don't coax his fears, though.

Sally was the same. I tried her with a harness and she took to that straight away. She will mow walk with either.:)

hi!

Most puppies are like this at first, basically just ignore him when he does it or, as some-one else has said, you will encourage him to behave that way I:E "Oh that got me some attention let's try it again".

Basically just clip his lead to his collar and let him tow it about for a bit, then very gently pick up the very end of the lead and let him take you wherever he's going, then gradually build up the amount of pressure you are putting on the lead and start to encourage him to follow you instead, gently pat your thigh and talk in a high pitched sing song voice, say his name a lot and lots of "Good Boy"'s with the "OO" in Good and Boy very accentuated, lots of praise when he does as you want then immediately finish the session. ALWAYS end on a good note, keep sessions short and sweet, puppies cannot concentrate for very long anyway, you will soon find that Guinness is happily trotting alongside you like a natural! Never forget that Cavaliers HATE being in trouble with you and are usually very easy to train!!

Good Luck! (y)

You can also try distracting him with some really yummy treat. Reward him for being calm and he will start to associate good things with having his lead on. Make it fun and play a game with him.

Back