• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My sisters dog ate poison.

*Pauline*

My Mum only told me tonight so I haven't had a chance to call my sister, she doesn't take calls this late.

4 days ago my sisters dog became very ill. They did tests and gave her charcoal to absorb the poison. She has been in hospital for two days and the vet for 2. They think she may have eaten some poison at the allotment my brother in law has. But 4 days ago we were all at my dads and he keeps very strong garden chemicals. There is at least one tree that has been cut down and the stump has been poisoned. There is a plant pot over the stump but you never know what else they have been using. I won't be letting Dylan go there again. It's a shame because it's a very big garden. I going to hit the roof if I find out Lucy ate something at his.

This is why I struggle to do my own garden now, the gardening comes with the rent (I rent from my dad) but I won't let my Dad in there because of the chemicals he uses.

My sister and her husband have hardly slept. If the symptoms started at night and they didn't see them, she would have been dead by the morning.:(

He's what she looks like.

Film playing with Dylan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1wVh31qdlE

1011111534_e9867d3fb1.jpg

1011111506_ca7ec7c6f2.jpg

Just thought, if this is not meant o be here as she is not a Cavalier, please move it to an appropriate slot. Thank you.

Oh Pauline!!

Very Big :hug: for you and pass one on to your sister, having lost 2 dogs to poisoning I know how your sister must be feeling right now and it is not good! Hopefully they have got to this before it has had a chance to really damage her too badly, keep me posted won't you??

We had a labrador was poisoned by strichnyne some years ago and although it's been banned there are some unscrupulous people who still poison their lands.In that situation poor Brucie found a dead bird in the garden and went to investigate and picked up poison from the bird.
Thankfully my cousin knoew what had happened, made him sick and we rushed him to the vet and he recovered in a matter of days.
I hope your sister's dog recovers well.
Sins

:hug: :hug: to you and your sister. That is just awful. I hope she recovers quickly and fully. :flwr:

Gosh Pauline, I am so sorry to hear that! What kind of chemicals would your father be using that could almost kill an animal?!!!

Prayers are coming your way from North Carolina!!!

Please keep us updated and I hope you too, are on the road to recovery!

Oh, that's so sad, Pauline. I hope your sister's dog recovers quickly and completely. :xfngr:

thinking of your sister at this hard time. please let her know that we are sending thoughts and hugs her way.

I'm in a big hurry out the door but Lucy is back home and though tired, seems ok. will fill in with details when i get back. thanks everyone xx

I'm back, boy it's hot today. I rang my sister this morning first thing, I had a bad nights sleep worrying. Lucy didn't get ill from my dad's garden after all as she became ill on Thursday and she was at my dad's on Tuesday. I think about 4 hours after going to the allotment, she became ill. She was shaking and not eating. Had they seen her eat the poison they could have made her sick but it was too late. She was given charcoal and had a drip, not sure what of. She was at the hospital for two days then they told my sister to take her to the vets on leaving. The vet said they wanted to keep her in for two days. She wasn't caged all the time and the nurse did play with her in the gardens. I'm assuming from her quick recovery that she is going to be ok but who knows the long term affects. I think if people put down poison in allotments, they should put up a sign.

Thanks for your concern everyone. :flwr:

About the chemicals my dad has. Well my step mother's belated father used to work for the forestry commission. He had chemicals that I believe are banned now. My step mother kept them and they only ran out recently. My Dad had a few trees cut down and the tree surgeon gave him a similar chemical. He uses it to kill off the root of anything too big to dig out. I had quite a battle persuading him not to use these in my front garden.

Last edited:
That is so, so scary. I am glad she is back home now and :xfngr: for a fast full recovery now.

SO glad she seems to be improving - it's really scary when they've gotten into something like this.

There are many things around the house that can be very dangerous to dogs - bleach, toilet cleaner, antifreeze for cars {they are attracted to it because it is sweet}, slug pellets etc - these are things we have to be aware of and either use very sensibly or find more environment and dog friendly alternatives...

Pauline,

Send bug hugs to Lucy from me and the boys and we hope she recovers fast with no long term effects.

Phew! What a relief!! I would imagine the drip would be what they call a "maintenance" drip which is saline laced with essential minerals and vitamins etc, they used something similar on my youngest son whe he was hospitalised late last year.

Anyway I am very relieved to hear she is making a speedy recovery, and I hope that she is soon back to her normal healthy playful self!

Thanks everyone. I'm very glad I didn't see her when she was shaking etc. I'd be in total melt down. My poor sister is just as sensitive as me and Lucy is her baby. She and her husband were told to expect the worst and many tears were shed this week. I want to go there to see for myself that she is ok.

Last edited:
Back