Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paw Chewing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Paw Chewing?

Just wondered if anyone has any advice. SInce yesterday Chloe has been chewing at her front paws like mad. I have checked them over and there does not seem to be in anything in them and they dont look sore. She is putting her whole foot in her mouth and chewing and chewing, she gets quite upset if you take it out of her mouth and just carries on again.
    Could this be a sign of an underlying problem?
    She is her normal self other than this.

Post Thanks / Like

This could be the first signs of an allergy. Have you feed anything different, bathed her in anything different, took her anywhere new that could cause an allergy flareup?
    I am the proud owner of 5 Cavaliers, Cooper, Princess Puddles, Lucky, Willow, and Grace.

Post Thanks / Like

She may also have a grass seed stuck between one of her pads or toes, they are quite common at this time of year and are difficult to see but very irritating to the dog. My friend's young boy had one in his ear canal over the week-end!
    Cathryn
    Cavaliers leave pawprints in your heart and hair on everything else!!
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

Post Thanks / Like

cant think of any changes that may have caused an allergy (will keep on racking my brains)

Cathryn: do you know of anything I could put on her paws have had a look but really cant see anything am just worried about them getting sore from all the chewing, she seems to really be tugging at them?

Post Thanks / Like

Lucy was doing that a while back , them i realised that the hair in between her pads was a bit long and gave it a little trim, now all seems fine again,
    dont know if this will help any?
    Ryan, Lisa, and Kieran.....our 2 Blenhiem girls Lucy and Megan, Jake the Lab, and the old man of the house...Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

If it is a grass seed then your vet will have to extract it I'm afraid unless you can see the head of the seed and catch hold of it yourself with a pair of tweezers. Ryan has a point about maybe her feathering is too long? She may have had a nice chew or titbit/treat where some of it has gotten embedded into the coat and she is chewing that off? You could try bitter lemon spray or watered down lemon juice to discourage her from chewing them in the meantime.
    Cathryn
    Cavaliers leave pawprints in your heart and hair on everything else!!
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

Post Thanks / Like

oliver had this issue too..
    we had a vet apointment made, but it made me antsy everytime he did it, because he was chewing them raw.
    i was tempted to buy him baby booties (as dog booties are 30x as expensive) but ended up waiting it out.

defently have chloe in, oliver needed a pill ...you may need that too
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gem View Post
    Just wondered if anyone has any advice. SInce yesterday Chloe has been chewing at her front paws like mad. I have checked them over and there does not seem to be in anything in them and they dont look sore. She is putting her whole foot in her mouth and chewing and chewing, she gets quite upset if you take it out of her mouth and just carries on again.
    Could this be a sign of an underlying problem?
    She is her normal self other than this.
    If it were me, I'd take her to the vet as soon as possible. If it's a grass seed, it is painful, and it needs to be found and removed.

Additionally it's better to diagnose the problem early before it becomes a habit that takes a long, long time to heal. Hope she feels better soon!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Bailey had this going on a while back for no reason - well no obvious reason, and I used some iodine solution to dip his paws in daily. Really messy!!! It sorted it out. Vet is the best bet.
    Thelma - Willing slave to LouLou (Ruby), Bailey (Big Blen),
    Ginger Retired Momma Blen

Post Thanks / Like

Default insect bite

My cavalier has been chewing at her paws like crazy too with no visible sign of a problem...someone suggested to me that it could be a red ant bite ??? we're off to the vet on Monday !
    Annie

Mom to Maggie
    Born 11/15/06