• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Paw Chewing?

Gem

Just wondered if anyone has any advice. SInce yesterday Chloe has been chewing at her front paws like mad. I have checked them over and there does not seem to be in anything in them and they dont look sore. She is putting her whole foot in her mouth and chewing and chewing, she gets quite upset if you take it out of her mouth and just carries on again.
Could this be a sign of an underlying problem?
She is her normal self other than this.

This could be the first signs of an allergy. Have you feed anything different, bathed her in anything different, took her anywhere new that could cause an allergy flareup?

She may also have a grass seed stuck between one of her pads or toes, they are quite common at this time of year and are difficult to see but very irritating to the dog. My friend's young boy had one in his ear canal over the week-end!

cant think of any changes that may have caused an allergy (will keep on racking my brains)

Cathryn: do you know of anything I could put on her paws have had a look but really cant see anything am just worried about them getting sore from all the chewing, she seems to really be tugging at them?

Lucy was doing that a while back , them i realised that the hair in between her pads was a bit long and gave it a little trim, now all seems fine again,
dont know if this will help any?:confused:

If it is a grass seed then your vet will have to extract it I'm afraid unless you can see the head of the seed and catch hold of it yourself with a pair of tweezers. Ryan has a point about maybe her feathering is too long? She may have had a nice chew or titbit/treat where some of it has gotten embedded into the coat and she is chewing that off? You could try bitter lemon spray or watered down lemon juice to discourage her from chewing them in the meantime.

oliver had this issue too..
we had a vet apointment made, but it made me antsy everytime he did it, because he was chewing them raw.
i was tempted to buy him baby booties (as dog booties are 30x as expensive) but ended up waiting it out.

defently have chloe in, oliver needed a pill ...you may need that too :)

Just wondered if anyone has any advice. SInce yesterday Chloe has been chewing at her front paws like mad. I have checked them over and there does not seem to be in anything in them and they dont look sore. She is putting her whole foot in her mouth and chewing and chewing, she gets quite upset if you take it out of her mouth and just carries on again.
Could this be a sign of an underlying problem?
She is her normal self other than this.
If it were me, I'd take her to the vet as soon as possible. If it's a grass seed, it is painful, and it needs to be found and removed.

Additionally it's better to diagnose the problem early before it becomes a habit that takes a long, long time to heal. Hope she feels better soon!

Bailey had this going on a while back for no reason - well no obvious reason, and I used some iodine solution to dip his paws in daily. Really messy!!! It sorted it out. Vet is the best bet.

insect bite

My cavalier has been chewing at her paws like crazy too with no visible sign of a problem...someone suggested to me that it could be a red ant bite ??? we're off to the vet on Monday !

best to get it checked out! we never found out why Chloe was doing this, the vet gave her an anti inflammatory injection and antibiotics and she stopped chewing in no time.

Gem,

If you can't get to the vet right away - try soaking her paw in some slightly salted warm water, she may have stood in something that doesn't agree with her skin ( if not a grass seed).

That should cool the irritation without making it any worse. Merlin had a similar thing a few months back - he was licking and chewing his paw - I knew it wasn't grass seed as we had only been on a road walk.
:xfngr: it will soon pass

If her feet have been wet and dried slowly she might have beginning of fungus on her paw. washing in mild soap with a good rinse and thorough drying will help until you see the vet.

Back