• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Barking at the TV

My Ellie used to bark at the TV especially at any dogs that came on. It got really annoying. I got a plastic cup and put some pebbles in it, and as soon as she started barking, I shook the cup and she was startled, now she just sits in front of the Tv watching and never barks :)

Hi Ann!
Good advice, thanks! I will try that one. Funny enough we are these days taking care of a cockerspaniel, and she has never barked at the TV! This must be a cavalier-thing!

Louie, my ruby boy, barks at the tv too, at anything that resembles a dog. He even barked at a girls pony tail whipping in the wind a few hours ago!! Charlie, my tri boy, could care less. Louie also wakes us up in the middle of the night by growling and barking at HIMSELF in our floor mirror.

No advice as 2 of my 3 bark at any type of animal on the t.v.! If I want to watch an animal program the two barkers send me to my room to watch it! Who's in charge in this house one might ask!!

Some months have passed since we first wrote about the barking problem. Well, nothing has helped so far, but we are trying to cope ;)
We are now joking that we must forbid Molly to watch scary movies (like Pride & Prejudice with the horse scenes, cartoons with strange animals etc.)... Sometimes we can't predict her barking and growling, maybe she doesn't like certain TV personalities and newsreaders?
At the same time it is so obvious that she IS watching, if we try to cover her sight be turning her away from the TV, she quickly tries to turn back. Well, cavaliers are just more clever than other dogs :D

Our girl did this yesterday afternoon for the first time (although we don't watch very much tv, so she doesn't get much of a chance)--we were watching a dvd where a pack of mutts keeps running through the film--the first time they appeared on screen she hopped off the bed and ran up to the tv and started barking like crazy. Every time they came back on screen she'd sit up and start to bark. We couldn't stop laughing.

We found candi sitting watching the simpsons, she never barked just sat there. Dont know who she likes yet homer or bart.:eek: What we also found out is when we watch a dvd on surround sound she looks all around to find out where the noise is coming from.

A couple of ours bark at animals on TV. We finally realized that we were encouraging it because we would change the channel when they started barking and they thought they chased the animals away because they disappeared. Now I pick up the barker and hold them to the TV and they stop barking right away as they realize it's not real. Little pea brains they are! We have a couple who seem to like to watch TV.

A couple of ours bark at animals on TV. We finally realized that we were encouraging it because we would change the channel when they started barking and they thought they chased the animals away because they disappeared. .

Thats where I've been going wrong! Will try your little trick now - Thanks :)

I was watching Finding Neverland last night (sad, aww) and Amber went daft at the man-in-a-doggy-suit. In fairness, he was barking... Kind of. She also looked very suspicious of the flying humans...

Cazy barked the whole way through the Garfield move over Christmas! :):)

By the end, I wasn't even hearing her - lol.

George barks like crazy when CSI comes on. He's often fast asleep and as soon as it starts he'll jump up and run around barking like a lunatic!! Haven't a clue why. He doesn't do it to Miami or NY!!

Merlin and Oakley watched the WHOLE of Animal Park last night with just a few grumbles. I sat them on the floor on my knee right in front of the tv and they watched tigers, girraffes, ferrets, hippos without trying to push the tv over - so thanks for the advice given here ( its certainly a step forward :))

Back