• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Submissive peeing

ClaireH

Over the last week i've noticed that when i get home from work or when i take Bonnie in from the garden she gets excited and she pees? She doesn't squat or anything-just goes while she's bouncing round me. Has anyone any advice on what i could do about this?

I read that to avoid this submissive peeing that i should avoid touching her on top of her head-instead touch her under her chin :confused: Bit confused as to why?!

If she's submissive peeing, she isn't at all aware that she is doing it! There is nothing you can do about it aside from ignoring her & letting her calm down first & you not being (in her eyes) so forward. Patting a dog on the head is a very strong signal to a dog & something that would be seen as very forward & commanding.

Oh... I always thought petting her on the head was a gentle sort of gesture :eek:
So would i be better off ignoring her for a bit when i get home? Will she grow out of it?

She's definately not aware she's doin it-this evenin she immediately lay down on her back in d middle of d puddle for me to scratch her belly!!!!
Bath asap methinks :rolleyes: :D

Petting on top of the head is an issue because your hand is above their head, I believe. Just like hugs can be seen in a similar way since dog to dog communication of being above or on top is a sign of dominance. You can pet her head, but probably not when you walk in a door for the first time that day or let anyone else do it that she isn't comfortable around.

The best idea is to let the dog calm down before you greet when you come home. Over excitement causes a lot of submissive peeing. It is something that puppies do grow out of, though, you'll be pleased to hear!

Thanks that's great!
Wasn't sure if it was something i had to teach her not to do or not.

Back