• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Mika's In Heat

mhabca

Darn it! She was supposed to be spayed on Tues, now, we can't get an appointment until October 31.

She seems very timid. Is it normal to see personality changes during heat? We're also in the middle of packing up for the move, so the house is in upheaval and she is not getting all the attention she is used to, so that could be part of it.

She just doesn't seem herself at all.

Anything I need to know about being in heat other than keeping her inside as much as possible?

Hi!

They can change temperament a bit during their first heat, one of mine hid herself away for 4 days as she was so confused about what she was feeling like. Occassionally they can go off their food too, expect her to bleed for around 10-12 days, then that really is the danger time as she will be matable for the next few days after that, basically keep her in for 21-28 days if you can.

Hope this of help?

Just curious, how old is Mika? I am wondering when Dixie will go into her first heat. She is 5 mo. Thanks, Judy

We're just going through our first heat with Zoey as well. Shes now at the end of her 2nd week and has stopped bleeding and seems to be pretty much back to herself personality wise. During the first week I don't think she felt very well and was very confused about why her routine had changed so much. I think that was the most heartbreaking part about it for me. My girl was used to having walkies everyday, and going to the park every evening. She didn't understand why all of a sudden we were skipping the things she loved so much.

I've found its been easiest to have two pairs of panties on hand (doggie diapers). I bought cloth ones so that I could easily wash them and reuse. The only problem we've run into with the panties is forgetting to take them off and ending up with wet panties from her peeing outside in them. All human error! lol. Otherwise after the initial week and upset in routine change it hasn't been too bad. I will be glad when shes finished though.

Good luck with your girl.

Mika is 29 weeks, so just over 7 months. She just seems so timid and subdued. Not her usual exuberant self. We may have to get some of those diapers. She is keeping herself very clean, with just the odd drop here and there, but we move into the brand new house on Tues, so we may start using them then.

Remember-- being in season is a total hormonal influx. Some girls get pushy, bossy, tired, etc... The actual hormone change starts before they even start to bleed.

The girls do get some mood shifts with their heat, just like us humans do.

We're also in the middle of packing up for the move, so the house is in upheaval and she is not getting all the attention she is used to, so that could be part of it.

I think this would probably be a big contributing factor. Dogs are settled & happy when they have a routine & everything is predictable. The feel very insecure when they see what to them probably looks like their humans demolishing the big kennel. ;)

I've found its been easiest to have two pairs of panties on hand (doggie diapers). I bought cloth ones so that I could easily wash them and reuse. The only problem we've run into with the panties is forgetting to take them off and ending up with wet panties from her peeing outside in them. All human error! lol. Otherwise after the initial week and upset in routine change it hasn't been too bad. I will be glad when shes finished though.

Good luck with your girl.

Do you also use a people panty liner in the diaper? That way you don't have to wash it every time. BTW, you aren't alone in forgetting to take the diaper off when they go outside. It's bad enough when the pee, but when they poop too.....

Guilty-lol And it isn't anyones fault but our own. fwiw, I don't like keeping the panties on for long periods of time. I don't like thinking I am setting them up for an infection. Sandy

I have been sticking panty liners in them and it has saved a few washes. I always feel bad though and end up taking it off and washing them anyways. I also don't leave them on all the time, but they are big enough that she can get her nose in to clean herself.

Back