Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deposit on puppy?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deposit on puppy?

I know this is a delicate question for all ethical breeders out there.

It is normal to take a non-refundable deposit of a thousand dollars for a puppy you may not have first choice for?

Hope I didn't offend all reputable kind breeders out here.

Would be my second Cavalier. This time around with all the right questions asked of both parties. Health exams of both Dam and Sire before breeding.

I really want to do it right this time since I will be thinking of adding another puppy after this one.

TIA

Post Thanks / Like

Have PM'd you!
    Cathryn
    Cavaliers leave pawprints in your heart and hair on everything else!!
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes, I hope you haven't given any money yet.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

No, I haven't. Puppies were born last Wednesday. Would be to early to give the breeder a deposit. Especially since they are too young to be evaluated as potential show dogs. My husband already said "no". My curiousity is making me question the morals of a 50% non-refundable deposit???

Post Thanks / Like

Is it non-refundable even if she loses some of the puppies?

Bit of a high "deposit", isn't it!!

Post Thanks / Like

"Bit of a high "deposit" " is being polite. My question is. Is this normal and expected if one wants a Cavalier from a ethical breeder? I'm just wondering how everyone here on the board that are only pet owners of pedigrees afford a limited contract pup? That being said. It's going to take at least that amount of the deposit as start-up cost for things the puppy needs. Like vet visits, food, vitamins, comfort things, puppy classes, yikes!
    Last edited by pinkpuppy; 11th August 2007 at 01:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how much the puppy is worth, but $1,000 as just the deposit sounds like you're paying up front..

Litters obviously cost a lot to care for appropriately, so I suspect that is why the deposit is so high?

Sounds .. odd to me.

The only time a deposit has been paid on a puppy from my part was when he was 6 weeks old & that was for £100 (or $200ish). I agree with the principle of money deposits, but $1,000?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying a Cavalier is not worth the money. I'm not trying to buy a show dog of course will quite literally cost several times more. Several thousand for a fixed puppy just seems unnatural. May sound callous but this person may as well fix the puppy before I buy it. Might balance out the cost then my hubby wouldn't have said "no" first thing this morning. *sniff*

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would only pay a deposit on a specific puppy. For example, we paid a $500 deposit for Geordie. We wanted him specifically and it was our full intention to buy him, so we never even discussed whether the deposit was refundable. We already knew and trusted his breeder, because we had bought India from them.

With India, we didn't pay a deposit. We drove 9 hours to meet her and her breeder (and several other lovely cavaliers!) India's breeder was recommended to us by several well-known, ethical show breeders. We wanted to make sure we liked both the puppy and her breeder, and I'm sure her breeder and OH felt the same way! She and her husband had to get to know us and make sure we met their approval before putting one of their precious puppies in our arms.

With Chocolate it was different again! We had befriended both her handler and her breeder at dog shows. After Chocolate went into 'retirement' we got to take her home, then when everyone involved felt it was a good match/adoption we paid for her.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

If you're uncomfortable with the deposit or the price, ask other breeders in your area & find one you are more comfortable with/makes you feel more comfortable with the one you have found. The most important thing is to feel comfortable - usually if you have to ask about something because you're unsure, then you're not comfortable.