• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Deposit on puppy?

I only take a small deposit and would refund it in most circumstances other than simply changing their minds. I feel it gives the new owners a sense of security that I cannot sell their chosen puppy to any-one (NOT that I would) else.

Cathryn, that's exactly why we put a deposit on Geordie. We wanted to make sure he wouldn't get sold to someone else, and it was winter time - we were delayed in getting him because of snow, etc.

I love everyone's fur babies here!

That is what I thought I was going to do this morning. Place a $500 deposit with full intent on buying the puppy of my choice. Plus making her exclusively mine before someone else snatches her up.:confused:

I would only pay a deposit on a specific puppy. For example, we paid a $500 deposit for Geordie. We wanted him specifically and it was our full intention to buy him, so we never even discussed whether the deposit was refundable. We already knew and trusted his breeder, because we had bought India from them.

With India, we didn't pay a deposit. We drove 9 hours to meet her and her breeder (and several other lovely cavaliers!) India's breeder was recommended to us by several well-known, ethical show breeders. We wanted to make sure we liked both the puppy and her breeder, and I'm sure her breeder and OH felt the same way! She and her husband had to get to know us and make sure we met their approval before putting one of their precious puppies in our arms.

With Chocolate it was different again! We had befriended both her handler and her breeder at dog shows. After Chocolate went into 'retirement' we got to take her home, then when everyone involved felt it was a good match/adoption we paid for her.:flwr:

I think the only difference is - Geordie's breeder didn't specifically tell us we had to pay a $500 deposit; we wanted to pay a deposit so we could take our time scheduling when to drive there to get him (mainly because of the snowy weather.) We wanted to pay a deposit to show our intent. And she never said it was non-refundable, either. Also, we chose him specifically from his 8 week photo; we didn't get first pick of the litter. Do you see the difference?

Last edited:
Yes, I see the difference in the breeder's trust. This breeder also admitted not being accustom to asking for such a large sum. Which was base on the advice of a more established breeder. Well, it was enough to turn my husband off. It sounded more like money first before the health and welfare of the puppy.

Some of the puppies we've bought in the past did not require we put down a deposit at all. I think I can only recall one that actually asked for a 50% deposit but that was after we had chosen the puppy. When we picked out Beau the breeders didn't ask for a deposit but we offered them one and they rather uncomfortably accepted. Again we had already picked Beau out from the litter. Some weeks later it became evident that Beau would have an overbite & would not be show quality and the breeders offered back our deposit. We didn't accept it back though as we knew this was the puppy we wanted, even if he did have an overbite.

Back