• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Shes or we are just not getting it.

mandy4727

Toilet training that is. Sahsa is 10 weeks old. We think we have done it right by everything we have read. As she has got older in the couple of weeks we have had her she does seem to be holding on a bit longer for a wee. But take tonight for instance. She normally goes to bed at 10.30. So we play at 10 til quarter past in the house. Loads of running round etc etc. Take her outside about quarter past for her last wee and poo of the night (she was fed at 8) and last had a poo about half seven at night. All she wanted to do outside in the dark was play, we didn't take her on so she amused herself with stones and leaves etc etc. She finally pooed about twenty five past. Waited 10 more mins. No wee at all. Brought her in put her in her crate and she promptly weed on her bed. Not just in the crate but in her bed too!!! We didn't scould her although it was annoying. As I mentioned before, we don't play without when we take her outside until she has "been". Then loads of praise. But she still seems to be coming straight in the house and weeing. She is at the vets tomorrow for her second injection so going to see if she has any sort of water infection to cause this and mention to the vet and see how we go on. But advise in the meantime would be great.

Please consider buying Shirlee Kalstone's book on housetraining a dog as this will be a big help. 10 weeks is a tiny baby still! -- it will be months yet before you have a mostly housetrained dog (probably a year old before she will be generally reliable) and for at least the next two months, you will need to watch her like a hawk any time she is not in a crate or asleep. A 10 week old dog is like an 18 month old child -- there's just no way they will be potty trained. Your pup is only going to be just beginning to get the general idea and will be very inconsistent. She will learn consistency by how consistent you are in constantly watching her and getting her outside in time, so she never has the chance to make mistakes inside. :)

I'd put her on a lead and harness and take her for a walk at this age until she goes. It might take an hour! It is just what needs to be done as part of housetraining. I'd not let her out to run around where she has the option to just to play -- she won't be able to do this on a lead, on a walk. (y) You know the answer going by your own reply -- :) -- you need to make sure she goes even if it means a wait for you. Don't worry, it will gradually get better but she's only a tiny puppy right now and playing is a priority for her; she also doesn;t yet understand the need to be going outside. Remember too you need to housetrain slowly, room by room. She should also never be out of arm's reach -- and hence able to go inside. (y)

Thanks. You are a help. What would we do without you!!. Well I have ordered the book via Amazon and just paid for it. Coming over from the States to the UK I think. I just keep forgetting how young she is. She seems to picking up everything else very quickly. Like don't jump in the soil and dig my pretty flowers up, one word of "get down" and a hand clap works and she gets off straight away. She will even sit. Probably more luck than judgement thought. And we do watch her like a hawk. We can now recognise the poo trot and the wee walk!!!! She seems to have a different walk or trot for when she is going to do either these motions. Although the poo trot is easier to spot and you have more time to get her outside. The poos aren't the problems it is the wees!!! But thanks again.

Give yourself and your puppy a little slack....there's no way a 10 week old could be housetrained reliably yet. I brought Shelby home at 12 weeks and Jake at 10 weeks. It was months before they could be given run without being tethered to me or the table. You must catch them in the act of pottying in order to correct them. My guys went out religiously after eating, sleeping, playing, pretty much every 2-3 hours. If they weren't tethered to me or the table they were in their x-pen or in their crate. We had relatively few accidents with Shelby (Jake was my first one so that was a bit tougher on me) after a couple of months but she still didn't get free run of the house for many more months. They were a solid year old before I could say they were completely and totally housetrained. And they still have occasional accidents (at 4 and 5 years old). Shelby's tend to be when she's not getting sufficient attention (okay...what she considers sufficient attention ;) ) and Jake still once in a blue moon has marking problems.

We can now recognise the poo trot and the wee walk
Isn't that funny how quickly you can pick up on when they're getting ready to go and what they're getting ready to do?
She seems to picking up everything else very quickly
I think that's very true. I was amazed at how quickly they learned what "no" "off" and "down" meant but housetraining was definitely the most difficult behavior to teach. And wait til she hits her terrible two...and "forgets" everything she's learned :rolleyes:

I think you'll really get a lot from Shirlee's book. Wish I had known about it back when my two were puppies. Hang there....repetition and patience are definitely the keys.

Hang in there! 10 weeks is so ickle - Sammy was 5/6 months by the time he was fully toilet trained and it was a whirlwind of accidents and going out and in for the first few weeks. Just keep it up and the number of accidents will get less every week until you finally notice that there's no accidents at all and then you forget it was ever difficult. Some dogs seem to be easier than others - Sammy was more difficult because he was hyper and he generally peed before he thought (sometimes in the middle of playing), but he got it eventually and now he's really reliable.

You also begin to know your puppy and when she pees, which makes it easier to time the outtings and easier to catch her in the act and give a firm 'no'. And lots of praises of course when she does go outside. Eventually she'll know to pee immediately outside, so you won't have to wait around as much. Also spraying some kind of dog pee deterent on the places that she pees or is likely to pee can help - although that wouldn't be good on her bed of course!

Last edited:
he generally peed before he thought (sometimes in the middle of playing)

:D :D Shelby will pee as she walks....doesn't have the patience to just tinkle in one spot...always has to be moving.

our little girl has just turned 6 months and it has only een in the last month or so that she seems to be housebroken. when she was 10 weeks old it seemed like she would just go no matter what we did, turn your head for even a second and there was a mess. the book will help alot. I kept her either in her x-pen or in an closed off area. taking her out as often as you can and keeping her estricted to small areas will help alot and be less frustrating. we used pee pads in her expen and our pup would go over to them and use them when we either forgot to take her out or she gave us no sign that we noticed. she got very good at using them. I had just bought my 3rd pack of 30 pads when she figured out that she should use the outside and not the pads. hang in there they are smart little pups and she will get it soon.

Even when they seem to be house-trained, you still have to take them out every 3 hours - until they learn to tell you they need to go out. And you have to pay close attention, too, unless they have a way of telling you besides just sitting at the door! :)

:D :D Shelby will pee as she walks....doesn't have the patience to just tinkle in one spot...always has to be moving.

LOL - We call this writing your name. Our Sam does this and his signature can be about 12' long. (He's a Boxer.... big bladder).

Yep, 10 weeks is just a tiny baby. Think how long it takes before a human child is toilet trained and you'll realise what a very short period of inconvenience this is. ;)

Err good luck with the flowers. Just because she isn't interested in digging now, doesn't mean she won't later. If they are really precious to you, now might be a good time to consider protecting them somehow.

I completely agree with what everyone is saying about her age. We got Chester at just over 8 weeks in October and it wasnt until Christmas when he was 16 weeks & we were around 24-7 that we finally cracked the toilet training.

Am pretty sure they dont really have much control over their bladders until they are at least 16 weeks.

Just an idea but could you take her water up a couple of hours before she goes to bed? We used to take Chester's up by half 7-8pm when he was little. Now he is older, we leave it down till about 9pm but he generally doesnt have any after about 8pm when he gets back from his walk.

Sound advice already given and well done on ordering the book too, you will find it very useful, I give one to my new puppy owners now so they know what to do and when!!
10 weeks is still so incredibly young! I have a 6 and a 1/2 month boy here who although mostly reliable still has the odd "lapse", liken it if you will to toilet training a toddler, some are ready earlier than others and some learn more quickly than others, give her time, yourself too! After all Rome wasn't built in a day!!

Keep us posted!!

Thanks everyone. Yes I need to remember 10 weeks is very young and compare her to a child when getting them out of nappies. Just seem to be gettting there with only the 3 or 4 accidents. And then today more wees inside than outside. The poo side does seem to be going okay and she does seem to go to the door for that and also we do get more warning. Look forward to getting and reading the book and will let you know how I get on. Thanks again.

Back