• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Why you can't easily predict breed mixes

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
These three 6 month old pups are posted on the Pets Ireland board at the moment -- the result of a cross between a Kerry Blue terrier (mum) and a golden lab (dad). All looking for homes, they are littermates! Just goes to show how hard it is to predict what is in some crosses -- they can look like one parent or the other, like a mix, throw back to some other breed earlier in the mix if there is one, or the mixture can produce dog that doesn't really look like either breed at all and might look like an entirely different breed!

post-3330-1187100884.jpg

post-3330-1187100483.jpg

post-3330-1187101385.jpg

OMG!! That is incredible to see!! When I took Crystal to the stud dog, he is a total outcross I was expecting some to look like him and some like Mum and one that was neither one nor the other, happily I got a very "typy" litter where they all look from the same mould. Those pics though really do show how you just can never be sure of what exactly to expect!

They are lovely looking dogs though, hope they all get a wonderful forever home very soon!!

There was a litter, shown on one of the tv programmes about rescues, in which the puppies were of very distinctly different types, so there were obviously two daddies. I don't remember the details, now, but mum was a pedigree, so differences were down to paternity.

oh goodness, I see what you mean Karlin!!

My friend has two Lab/collie crosses, from different litters - one you would mistake for a Lab, the other could be pure collie!

Back