• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

No poop?

CVFlagg

Hi-

Not my favorite topic, but needing advice. My youngest (1 1/5yrs) has not pooped in 2 days. He is eating and as normal, full of energy and I have felt his belly and he is not at all tender. Does anyone have any thoughts? I can go to the vet tomorrow morning if needed. Thanks for your advice!

How closely are you monitoring him? He may be pooping and eating it, or your other dog may be eating it. Just a possibility - better than having an intestinal blockage! I think he would be quite ill if he wasn't pooping at all.

I have actually thought about that. Usually I leave them in the family room during the day but I think tomorrow I might crate him to see if I can better monitor. Thanks!

If you walk him on a leash after his meals, he should do his business outside. Make sure he gets gentle praise and a treat immediately when he's finished. He will learn to save his poo for outside so he can collect his treat!:)

Also you can always just ring your vet to get advice. Most vets will freely offer advice to their customers on whether you should bring a dog in. I would certainly monitor very closely as if a dog doesn't go for a few days, it could be an obstruction, but you are clearly checking for the possible signs. If another day passes with nothing passing (so to speak!) I'd ring your vets and see if they think you should bring him in.

My bet is that he is scarfing it, but best to play it safe. Wouldn't hurt thought to check and see what your vet thinks.

Tend to agree with the others that he may be scarfing, but always best to monitor the situation and see what the vet recommends via phone first! Good Luck!!

I did call the emergency vet last night and they said that as long as he was not straining or vomiting, I should wait 12 hours and see what happens. Well, at 3:00am this morning I was awoken but little licks on my arm, so we went outside and we have poop! After about 15 minutes of wandering and sniffing, we are back on track. I have to admit I did take a flashlight into the yard to confirm and all looked well.

I am also leaning towards scarfing. I have dark wood floors in my house and it would be very easy to disguise any remains...Looks like we are going back on our treats for poo plan. Thanks again for all of your advice!

Back