• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Toilet Training - any tips

Furry_Monster

It's not going very well. The first week was bad, the second week was good and this week horrible. She just doest seem to be getting it at all and now my mum has become impatient and smacked her for it today so i just had a big go at her.
The first week we took her out side every hour or so and she used to do lots of little wees outside and then come inside and do lots of little ones. Her poos were about 20 mins after she has eaten. After she had a wee and poo outside we would praise her and have a little play, if a wee was inside and we saw her do it we'd scoop her up and put her ouside but she wouldn't finish the wee off. If we didnt see her wee we just didnt nothing.

The second week we did the same, every hour or so and this time she used to do big wees outside and we had hardly any accidents. The odd time she used to go to the door so we knew she wanted a wee and if the door was open sometime she would go out her self. Poos still around 20 mins after eating. This time we tried using treats after and still playing.

This week, well, still take her outside every hour or so but she does nothing all she does if find things to play with like petals and stones ect. Tried putting her on a lead and she just sits there squeeking. As soon as we took her inside, she had a wee. Wees are big and then about 5 mins later we have a little tiny wee. Poos are now about 2 hour after eating. Tried using treats still if the wee is outside but nothing.
As i said mum got impatient and smacked her today so i gave her a big lecture on how it's not right and my dad just said "Thats how we got things done in our day" and my mum said "If she keeps on weeing in the house im going to carry on smacking her because the *nice nice* way you do it isn't working.
Mum has said nothing like if it carries on shes going. But i will if my mum crries on smacking her, because she doesn't deserve it.
I'm getting all worked up about it because im not getting any help.
So i've come on here for advice.
Thanks

Yes,toliet training can be very frustratung and it can take a long long time. But what your family need to understand is that smacking her will not help the situation at all. She is only a tiny baby and I am sure that your mum didnt smack you when you were only a couple of months old!
A puppy does not know that "going in the house" is wrong. You need to praise them when they do go outside but you will have many many accidents until you get to this stage.
I may be wrong but you sound very young and cannot be expected to care for this puppy by yourself,if your parents arent prepared to help you and reasearch on training then they should never have allowed you to get a puppy its not fair on you or on the pup

I'm so sorry to hear this :( Yes it's good to give a firm 'no' if you catch her in the act, but smacking will make her afraid and she might try to hide when she pees. Such a little puppy will definitely still have accidents, as she's too young to understand. But if you keep going out with her, it will get better every week (with occasional bad weeks), and she will eventually be toilet trained. But it can take a long time.

It sounds like you are doing really well taking the puppy out every hour and giving her lots of praise when she pees outside. Just remember that inside you shouldn't let her go anywhere you can't see her and you should always keep at least one eye on her, so you can catch her peeing. When she does have accidents, spray some dog pee cleaner/deterant where she pees, so she won't go back to the same place. Pet shops usually have sprays like this. Also, when she pees outside, it helps to bring her back to the same spot every time you go out, since she'll start to use that as her toilet.

Toilet training is a lot of work and takes a lot of patience - but the worst is the first month. It gets better after that!

Last edited:
Don't give up. Housetraining takes time and it seems like it is much harder to housetrain the girls. How do think my Princess Puddles got her name! She was so difficult. She wouldn't go outside but as soon as we came inside there she'd go making a puddle in the floor. I don't remember how old she was but one day I told her if you make a puddle in the floor one more time you will be outside permanmently (just kidding but she didn't know that). She believed me and Princess Puddles has never pottied in the house since that day and she is now 5 1/2 years old.
It take lots of patience and time and she will get the hang of it. Like everyone else I don't think smacking will help and will probably cause more harm than good. Good Luck!!!

Last edited:
How old is this pup?

Using positive reinforcement is the best way to deal with dogs (husbands, children and cavaliers). The pup doesn't understand. For all she knows, you don't want her to "eliminate" AT ALL. Which is impossible.

Furry Monster, it is very distressing when you witness someone treating an animal in a way that goes against your nature. Chances are your mum means well but is remembering how things were done a long time ago, and things have changed a whole lot. One upon a time, people advocated hitting a dog with a rolled up newspaper because it didn't hurt the dog but scared the crap out of it. Of course these days we would be horrified to hear of someone doing this.

Here is a link with some great resources for housetraining. Why don't you check them out, maybe print off a few and then take a big breath, tell your mum you love her, and ask her if maybe you and she could work on this thing together. Perhaps you could both sit down together & do a little reading and maybe come up with a plan. ;)

Thanks for your help everyone. I have never smacked Sasha for weeing in the house and never will smack her for anything, like you say it would do more harm than good.
I told my mum that a toddler only learns to use a potty around 2 years old and toddlers are human, so how is a 10 week old puppy ment to know that weeing inside is bad?
I'm just going to carry on what i'm doing and if this doesn't work them i'll find another way which might suit her better.
We have been really good this morning and have had no wees in the crate for 3 whole nights!!! Go Sasha! :D

When I was training my dogs if you catch him in the act stop him pick him up and carry him outside and tell him to pee or poo. You have to be patient it takes time even months the thing is you have to watch them constantly.

I was lucky with my current dog. He was asking to go out to go to the toilet after 2 weeks.

10 week old pups wee immediately upon awaking and drinking/eating. I put him outside every half an hour without fail. I rewarded him with a titbit each time he did anything.

It was really, really hard work but it paid off!! Good luck

Back