• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

almost fainted

Cathy Moon

Today my sister left me a message on my cell phone that Geordie seems to be ok - but he jumped over the railing on our raised deck! :yikes So he landed on the lawn 5 feet below. He jumped off a built-in bench by the railing (Colin has promised he will build a trellis there this weekend!)

I have made Geordie a vet appointment for tomorrow morning to have him checked over, and we fed him late this evening after he had a normal potty.

Has anyone else had their cavalier jump off a height like that?

Oh my gosh....must have scared you to death. I've not heard of one jumping from that height...sure hope everything is okay!!

Is he acting hurt? Depending on the vet, that could be an expensive 'feel better' visit. I'd watch him for a couple days first... and I think if I called our doc and asked him, that's what he'd tell me to do.

KC

Wow that does seem a high jump for a little dog. I am only guessing on this one, but I would think that if he isn't limping or showing any other signs of discomfort, he probably landed well & has avoided injury.

I bet he wasn't expecting the drop to be that far. Hope he is OK. Leo once fell off a wall along the beach (landed on sand) about that height; I nearly fainted as well but he was fine. Jaspar has fallen off the dog walk once or twice as well and it would be around that height. So while not something you'd want to repeat regularly, I think the height isn;t too worrying if he landed OK.

when I first got my old charlie she jumped off a 10 foot wall ,It had a very slight slope on it so she sort of skidded down & scraped the skin off her feet.

I was stood at the bottom & made the mistake of shouting for her expecting her to use the steps but she took the most direct route to mummy. she was fine , still here 10 years on.

If I remember correctly, I think it was our girl Kate, now 8 years old, that walk ed between the balusters of the dech and fell at least 5' to the ground when she was about 3 months old. She looked a little dazed for a couple minutes and limped for maybe a day. After that she was just fine. That same day I stapled chicken wire around the deck railing while I designed and built a permanent "puppy rail" around the perimeter of the deck.

Just to be on the safe side, and because I can't stay home today and watch him, I took him to the vets this morning. The orthopedic vet examined him thoroughly and feels Geordie has no injuries. This is such a relief, because of all my cavs, Geordie is a stoic little guy who never complains. I was concerned over possible internal injuries, but the vet said as long as he is behaving normally (activity, eating, drinking, eliminating) and his coloring is good (pink gums) he wouldn't be concerned.

Whew! This weekend we're going to do something about that built-in bench on the deck!

How scary! Glad to hear he's alright.

When Abbey was a year old she jumped off a deck to avoid some children that were coming over to her.:( She fell about 10 ft. Her owners rushed her to the vet, but found out there was nothing wrong with her, thankfully. This is when they realized just how afraid of their kids she was...and decided then to place her up for adoption...lucky us!

Glad he seems to be okay. If he's stoic....best you had him checked out. Shelby is like that...she has to really be hurt for her to show it.

I am glad to hear that he is fine Cathy. Yeah, whenever you get that little nagging thought in your head that you think a vet visit is a good idea, you really have to listen to it. Better safe than sorry.

Back