• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is it possible to get all 4 cav colours in one litter?

Emma n Renco

Hi,

This has got me really puzzled, online at a Dutch ebay type website are puppies for sale as always, and I always look at the cav puppy pictures because they are so cute.. One of the lots for sale has a ruby, blenheim, black and tan and a tri in the litter. 4 pups and all different. It obviously is possible as there are pictures proving it, but is it common? Don't think I should put the link up here, but am just curious about it??

Not an expert but i dont think u can. Id say if u saw a pic of all 4 colours its not proving anything. Id say it just pups from different litters been mixed.

Not an expert but i dont think u can. Id say if u saw a pic of all 4 colours its not proving anything. Id say it just pups from different litters been mixed.

Yeah true you must be right, it's the way it is posted that just has 4 pups but are all different colours in a basket and I just took it as them being the same litter. It can't be possible though. I will contact them out of interest and let you know...

I think it's possible with certain combinations- I've heard of it happening. Although I'm not sure whether the wholecolours would be totally solid- I imagine they might have some white marking on chins etc.

TRI to RUBY can produce all 4 colours depending whats behind both pearents

I had a litter 2 years ago tri mum and ruby dad .....we had 2 black and tan boys :)

Yes it is possible. The parents must be:

1) A black and tan, who carries both red and white, with either the same, a Blenheim, a ruby who carries white, or a tricolour who carries red.

or

2) A tricolour who carries red with a ruby who carries white.

ie BbSs with either BbSs, bbss, bbSs or Bbss

or bbss with BbSs

Last edited:
Thanks for that table, so it really could be possible. What a dream litter though - all 4 colours of the puppies!! It would be very hard not to keep them all though :)

Yes it most certainly is and there was a VERY famous litter bred by the top breeder Sheila Smith of the famous Salador kennel. She used a Black and Tan dog, Ch: Caderyn Black Tulip to Salador Crumpet(Tri) this resulted in 7 pups of all 4 colours, Sheila was disappointed at first as her longed for Black and Tan bitch was not in the litter, there was a beautiful Blenheim bitch, Salador Cherrybird and a Black and Tan dog who would become Salador Charlock, I quote from her book here "the Blenheim bitch who popped out last of a well marked litter, I got such a shiver down my spine!". But it was Charlock who was to go on to be something REALLY, REALLY special for her, he would win over 40 1st's at Champ Show level (never got a sniff at a Challenge Certificate however!) but it was as a stud dog that he would be most famous, going on to sire the Crufts Challenge Certificate winning Ruby bitch Salador Coppergleam, also Ch:Rheinvelt Ringold Von Salador who was also a Crufts Challenge Certificate winner too. Charlock despite his broken colour pedigree reverted to being wholecolour dominant and was considered, even to this day actually, as one of the most influential wholecolour stud dogs ever, if you have a UK bred Black and Tan then you will almost certainly find him in that dog's pedigree somewhere in the past! Sheila goes to tell us that in his twelfth year he was galloping across his paddock at home when he collapsed and died shortly afterwards, "He never ran up a vets bill in his life and he didn't at the end" she tells us!!

I was also on a well known wholecolour breeders website the other day when I spotted a Blenheim, unusual for them, on looking at the pedigree she has a B/T Father and a Ruby mother!! icon_nwunsure How did this happen I hear you ask? Looking further back into her pedigree she has Blenheim behind both parents and this time it threw forwards!!

Ah! The mysteries of colour inheritance eh??

WOW! Glad I asked this question - what a great story! Thanks for that information... what a wonderful science even though it seems like a lottery on first sight :)

That would be exciting to have a litter with all 4 colors! I read Sheila Smith's book and saw the photos of her lovely cavs - I think Salador Cherrybird is one of the prettiest female cavs ever! :lotsaluv:

Yes it most certainly is and there was a VERY famous litter bred by the top breeder Sheila Smith of the famous Salador kennel. She used a Black and Tan dog, Ch: Caderyn Black Tulip to Salador Crumpet(Tri) this resulted in 7 pups of all 4 colours, Sheila was disappointed at first as her longed for Black and Tan bitch was not in the litter, there was a beautiful Blenheim bitch, Salador Cherrybird and a Black and Tan dog who would become Salador Charlock, I quote from her book here "the Blenheim bitch who popped out last of a well marked litter, I got such a shiver down my spine!". But it was Charlock who was to go on to be something REALLY, REALLY special for her, he would win over 40 1st's at Champ Show level (never got a sniff at a Challenge Certificate however!) but it was as a stud dog that he would be most famous, going on to sire the Crufts Challenge Certificate winning Ruby bitch Salador Coppergleam, also Ch:Rheinvelt Ringold Von Salador who was also a Crufts Challenge Certificate winner too. Charlock despite his broken colour pedigree reverted to being wholecolour dominant and was considered, even to this day actually, as one of the most influential wholecolour stud dogs ever, if you have a UK bred Black and Tan then you will almost certainly find him in that dog's pedigree somewhere in the past! Sheila goes to tell us that in his twelfth year he was galloping across his paddock at home when he collapsed and died shortly afterwards, "He never ran up a vets bill in his life and he didn't at the end" she tells us!!

I was also on a well known wholecolour breeders website the other day when I spotted a Blenheim, unusual for them, on looking at the pedigree she has a B/T Father and a Ruby mother!! icon_nwunsure How did this happen I hear you ask? Looking further back into her pedigree she has Blenheim behind both parents and this time it threw forwards!!

Ah! The mysteries of colour inheritance eh??

Hi Cathryn

Isn't she lovely? I have had to resist asking Lucy and Di to sell her many times, good 'ol Calamity Jane, Dortmund Take A Chance H is a B/T and H Starshine is the most delicous lady with the fleck! But Mark and Michael's Ch Louis was blenhiem so thats were it came from.

"Charlock despite his broken colour pedigree reverted to being wholecolour dominant."

Does this mean he only threw whole colour pups, even with that one recessive piebald gene? Is it because he was mostly bred to solids? I'm trying to make sense of it as he should have been able to throw piebald pups with the right female.

Anyway, I have recently run across this explanation of Cavalier coat color inheritance. It has an easy to follow chart at the bottom which shows from which combinations of parents a four coloured litter can come from. It is probably much the same as the one Karlin pointed out earlier but in English.

http://cavalierkingcharles.org.uk/colour_inheritance.html

How desirable are B&T cavaliers? There was one B&T in Daisy's litter(2 Blens) and the B&T bitch was first to go. So do I assume that Daisy's pop was a B&T. I only saw her Blenheim dam and bought Daisy on the strength of the dam's pedigree.
Sins

Hi Cathryn

Isn't she lovely? I have had to resist asking Lucy and Di to sell her many times, good 'ol Calamity Jane, Dortmund Take A Chance H is a B/T and H Starshine is the most delicous lady with the fleck! But Mark and Michael's Ch Louis was blenhiem so thats were it came from.

She is indeed a very beautiful young lady!!! :luv:

"Charlock despite his broken colour pedigree reverted to being wholecolour dominant."

Does this mean he only threw whole colour pups, even with that one recessive piebald gene? Is it because he was mostly bred to solids? I'm trying to make sense of it as he should have been able to throw piebald pups with the right female.

Anyway, I have recently run across this explanation of Cavalier coat color inheritance. It has an easy to follow chart at the bottom which shows from which combinations of parents a four coloured litter can come from. It is probably much the same as the one Karlin pointed out earlier but in English.

http://cavalierkingcharles.org.uk/colour_inheritance.html

To answer your first question, Yes it does indeed! I do not know what bitches were taken to him as I was not active within the breed at that time, but having seen the pics of him and also examples of his progeny I would have seriously considered using him!!

How desirable are B&T cavaliers? There was one B&T in Daisy's litter(2 Blens) and the B&T bitch was first to go. So do I assume that Daisy's pop was a B&T. I only saw her Blenheim dam and bought Daisy on the strength of the dam's pedigree.
Sins

A nice B/T is usually very desirable, sadly(?) wholecolours have long been considered the "poor relations" to the Parti-Colours, and I have to admit that until I bred my first litter of wholecolours they were not exactly at the top of my "Wanted" list. The biggest challenge with the wholecolours is to keep the lovely soft heads, if you can get a nice head on a whole-colour then you're doing well, but I had seen way too many "hard" and "snipey" heads to be really smitten!
For me to see a whole-colour, moreover a RUBY, and say I liked it was almost unheard of!! Yet I did find a nice Ruby boy and use him to one of my Tri girls who has a beautiful generous head, in that litter was Teddy, who knows what the future holds for him??? He has literally a 50-50 whole/parti-colour pedigree, his father has only sired whole-colours despite his own broken coloured history!! Yet on paper his Momma could have had all 4 colours!!

If you think back to when the breed was being "Resurected" the breeders back then had to use what they could to try and get back to the "original" type!!

Off my soapbox now!! :lol:

Cathryn, I have always preferred the wholecolor heads to all the others. I'm not a fan of dogs with lots of jowl or heavier muzzles, though and I see much more of that in the parti colors. Snipey, I believe means pointier muzzled, but what do you mean by "hard", and the other term a "generous head". Are you speaking of the amount of padding around the eyes?

I'm trying to discover what appearance qualities others like in this breed!

Arlene

Back