Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving me to a heart attack

Post Thanks / Like

Default Driving me to a heart attack

I admit it. Being a mom to a dog has made me go a bit crazy. He's like my child and I worry about him all the time. With that being said, Wrigley has chosen NOT to eat his Canidae. He just doesn't want it. He gets all excited when he hears it's dinner time, until he sniffs the food and sticks his nose up. Now, I've tried the giving him a few days, only allowing him 15 minutes, and then taking it away. He still has NO interest. With Royal Canin, he inhaled it whole and ate with vigor. He's otherwise doing really well and shows no signs of still being sick. He pulled this on us last time with Canidae, too (which is why we switched to Royal Canin). I think the Canidae kibble is too hard for him to chew or something(he looks like he struggles with it more than RC). So, now I'm back to researching and would like to try Solid Gold or Innova. I would appreciate any feedback on either
    Kristen and Mystic Knight Prince Wrigley

Post Thanks / Like

Oliver and Bentley ate Innova for a while. They really liked it. Recently I have been doing a grain free diet for them--we have tried Orijen and also Nature's Variety Raw Instinct. They are both kibble and the dogs loved both of them and I have heard really good things about both. The NV Raw Instinct kibble came with a free sample of the Raw Medallions, Chicken and Turkey, which they both gobble down.
    Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett

Post Thanks / Like

Wrigps mom, I hear you...and I am right there with you. Dixie is driving me to a heart attack too. She won't even eat the Royal Canin. She is just like Wrigley. She gets all excited when it is time to eat, and then she sniffs it from about 3 inches away, and walks away. The 15 min. doesn't work either. She won't budge, and will just not eat. You should see all the different kinds of food we have tried. I asked on another post, but was wondering if I should just try feeding her once a day???? She is 5 months old. Would that be bad? Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks, Judy

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you brought up the food and eating issue. When we first brought Reggie and Laci home, the breeder told us to put them on a mixture of Royal Canin and Nutro Natural Choice Puppy Bites. Well, Laci had blood in her poo from day one. The breeder told us to mix her food with yogurt, but she wouldn't eat that. This went on too long and then Reggie started having some blood in his stools. After vet visits, worm tests, stool samples, etc, the doc couldn't find anything wrong. She put them on a de-worming regime (just in case) and suggested that we take them off the current food and put them on Science Diet Puppy food. They have been such finicky eaters from the start, but now they're real bad. Today I took them off the Science Diet and put them back on the original food. It's too early to tell, but is this a puppy trait? Eating one day and not the next? (Obviously I haven't had puppies in many, many years!)

HELP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jld View Post
    Wrigps mom, I hear you...and I am right there with you. Dixie is driving me to a heart attack too. She won't even eat the Royal Canin. She is just like Wrigley. She gets all excited when it is time to eat, and then she sniffs it from about 3 inches away, and walks away. The 15 min. doesn't work either. She won't budge, and will just not eat. You should see all the different kinds of food we have tried. I asked on another post, but was wondering if I should just try feeding her once a day???? She is 5 months old. Would that be bad? Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks, Judy
    I would feed her 3 times a day until 6 months old, then twice a day. At 5 months, she is going through a very uncomfortable teething period. Perhaps you could soften her kibble with warm water (let it cool before feeding) and mix in some canned dog food.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigs Mom View Post
    I admit it. Being a mom to a dog has made me go a bit crazy. He's like my child and I worry about him all the time. With that being said, Wrigley has chosen NOT to eat his Canidae. He just doesn't want it. He gets all excited when he hears it's dinner time, until he sniffs the food and sticks his nose up. Now, I've tried the giving him a few days, only allowing him 15 minutes, and then taking it away. He still has NO interest. With Royal Canin, he inhaled it whole and ate with vigor. He's otherwise doing really well and shows no signs of still being sick. He pulled this on us last time with Canidae, too (which is why we switched to Royal Canin). I think the Canidae kibble is too hard for him to chew or something(he looks like he struggles with it more than RC). So, now I'm back to researching and would like to try Solid Gold or Innova. I would appreciate any feedback on either
    How old is he? If he is teething, the smaller Royal Canin kibble might be easier to chew.
    Cathy Moon

Post Thanks / Like

I feed Wrigs once a day and it always seemed to be fine. That is until we switched from Royal Canin. Wrigs hasn't liked Canidae since he was a puppy, but I wanted to give him a REALLY good dog food. On doganalysis.com, Royal Canin was rated ONE STAR and listed that one ingredient was sketchy b/c it could cause liver/kidney problems. My vet wanted Wrigs off of it because of his recent liver levels. So, I'm trying to switch him to something better that he actually LIKES. I'm going tomorrow to get new food and try again. Innova or Gold seem to be "the best" ingredients. With Royal, Wrigs SCARFED down his food and would even snork and lose his breath because he was inhaling it. He LOVED it and ate with vigor. Anyone use Innova or Gold???

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and Wrigs is 3 and a half years old

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I feed Geordie Innova Evo. I haven't tried regular Innova or Solid Gold yet. They are both very good quality foods, and a vet recommended them to us in the past.
    Cathy Moon

Post Thanks / Like

The puppy food blues--I SO know what you're going through. It gets better--I promise.

If you go with Solid Gold, I would recommend Solid Gold-Barking at the Moon. It's fish based and grain free. I feed Mia prepared raw food, but occasionally tried to put a little kibble with it if I ran out of frozen green beans. The kibble never agreed with her--until I tried the SG-Barking at the Moon. So far, it's the only kibble that she likes and that agrees with her tummy. I even had to give it to her for a week straight, because I kept forgetting to get her green beans, and her tummy issues never flared up.

Natures Variety Raw Instinct is also a very good kibble--also grain free. If you're open to prepared raw food, Natures Variety makes a good raw food. Raw seems to agree with Mia better than any other type of food.

Good luck!
    Denise, Wrigley (Golden-5 Yrs.) and
    Mia Bella (Cavalier-2 Yrs.)