• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question about ... humping

emmawright

hi everyone, sorry about this question but i have to find out if this is normal, the last couple of days Daisy has started to hump Bluebell, i was shocked as i thought it was only males who did this. Is this normal behaviour for a female cavalier ????

Our two small females have (and do still occasionally). I don't remember the female Saint Bernard ever doing it, even when there was another big dog here.

Yes, it's normal. :) It isn't only a sexual behaviour and it is fairly common. Lots more info here:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=11986

I'd guess Daisy is doing this because Bluebell is maturing and she is asserting she is less important, but there can be a whole range of reasons.

Lily humps throw pillows on a regular basis. :rolleyes: But never other dogs. A friend's small female collie mix regular mounts her larger male; both are neutered.

It can be a bit of a mystery why they do it! Ypu can train away by just discouraging it -- distract to some other more desireable behaviour. Some recipint dogs can get quite upset and intimidated by this behaviour as well (which is sometimes the point, from the perpetrator's point of view).

Yes, it's normal. :) It isn't only a exual behaviour and it is fairly common. Lots more info here:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=11986

I'd guess Daisy is doing this because Bluebell is maturing and she is asserting she is less important, but there can be a whole range of reasons.

Lily humps throw pillows on a regular basis. :rolleyes: But never other dogs. A friend's small female collie mix regular mounts her larger male; both are neutered.

It can be a bit of a mystery why they do it! You can train away by just discouraging it -- distract to some other more desireable behaviour. Some recipient dogs can get quite upset and intimidated by this behaviour as well (which is sometimes the point, from the perpetrator's point of view).

When we were taking Chester to puppy training there was a little white Westie/Bischon girl who kept trying to hump Chester.

He would keep running away and would eventually hide from her but our Trainer told us it was the Westie trying to dominate Chester. Not that she needed to do that, I think a rabbit would be able to dominate Chester!

Every now and then India humps Geordie. This is the situation: India never barks at people or animals; she wags her tail if she sees anyone (probably in hopes they'll approach.) Geordie always barks at people and animals (presumably to drive them away), so India humps him to try and shut him up!

Back