• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Success with kong

brid kenny

I was always looking for something healthy for Phoebe to chew in her kong as I used to put fattening ham into it!
So I cooked some carrots, mashed them up and hey presto!!
She loves it!
What do you put in your kong?

I put raw carrot, kibble, tuna (in springwater) cottage cheese , frozen green peas or anything else that's healthy for them. Trouble is, they are so adept now that the kongs are emptied in minutes.

I like mashed banana with some interesting things hidden in the mush. Freezing a kong makes it last considerably longer. (y) Also I had the medium size before, which is too large for my dogs -- too easy to get everything out and the amount inside is as much as I'd feed them in a day, practically! The small size suits them better and it is much harder to get things out of it. Jaspar confuses Kongs with treat balls and tries to roll it around to make the filling fall out. :rolleyes:

I like putting natural peanut butter in them with some of her regular kibble. The peanut butter is sticky enough that it takes her awhile to get everything out.

I wedge a dog biscuit in and then put some low fat cream cheese on the sides and freeze.

I'm so pleased this has been posted. I was thinking of getting one of these for Harvey who's 4 months old. He loves chewing old toilet rolls up and sometimes we put treats in newspaper and then hide it in the roll. Should I put anything specific in the kong. We feed him on the James Wellbeloved and Nature Diet (puppy) as he had some tummy problems at about 11 weeks. Thankfully that is over now and we are now getting normal poo :rah:

When Wrigs was a wee little pup, we stuffed the Kong with low-fat cream cheese and Cheerios! It kept him very busy while mommy and daddy left for work!

I put peanut butter or plain yogurt in it and freeze it. Ruby LOVES it! It's usually her treat when we put her in the kennel, so she sees it and jumps right in to wait for it. It takes her a little while to get all of the goodies because it's frozen solid.

What WONDERFUL ideas everyone!!!!! I had not thought to put anything in the kong besides peanutbutter! Love the coocked carrot idea, yogurt...freezing them. awesome!!! It's been ages since I've given them Kongs because I'm always with them and we only gave them when we had to go out. Time to get the kongs out again :)

Just be cautious on how much pure peanut butter goes into them -- huge amount of calories and fat in PB and a small kong with nothing but PB would be approaching a good portion of the calorie intake for a day for a normal sized cavalier. :shock: There's 190 calories in two TBS of peanut butter and as much fat as in a Burger King hamburger according to one website. :lol:

do you use the kongs that are shaped like a cone because they always look like jadan could get stuff out in one go at the big end even on the little ones. i found a dog bone shaped one that you can fill each end that has smaller holes aand i still keep forgetting to freeze it. must get another one so have one on the go while the other one is freezing! like your filling suggestions though :)

Back