• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Weight

Baldyboy

A quick question, weighed Baldy today, came in at 12.07 Kilo (I think - dogs don't seem to like scales!!).

Wondered is this average, under/overweight for a 2 yr old Cav?

We noticed he has put a little on since we've had him, however we think we've got his diet settled now.

Thanks.

12.07 kilos = 26.6 lb

Depends on the size of the frame of the dog. My last dog was large example of the breed and was 29 lb! My current one is half that!!

That's about 26lb, which is above average. However, weight has to be considered along with the dog's build. Monty is 35lb, but he has a huge frame and is in fact quite thin.

Generally you should be able to feel the dog's ribs without them sticking out. Some people say that a dog should have a waist, too, but I asked a respected cavalier judge to run her hands over Joly, who doesn't have a waist and she said his weight is fine (though he needs no more) , but he isn't the shape for a waist (he's sausage shaped).

Last edited:
An easy way to weigh an animal is for you to weigh yourself, then pick up the dog and get that weight. The dog is the difference between the two. :)

Breed standard is 13-18lbs in the US and 12-18lbs in the UK/Ireland. But the 'right' weight is the healthy weight for your own dog's frame. Some are smaller and some larger than breed standard. :thmsbup:

Generally you should see a distinct waist when viewed from above. For best heart health in this breed, being on the thinner side is better than the fatter side as every extra pound adds miles (literally!) of extra blood vessels through that tissue for the heart to deal with -- and that will shorten the life of the heart valves.

I always recommend this breeder's page on feeding and keeping a dog in weight -- there are also pictures of what a healthy weight looks like. :)

www.roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm

Hi all, thanks for the advice. Seeing other cavaliers out and about we think Baldy is at the larger end of the breed (looking at his overall build). We've noticed he's put a little weight on since we've had him, whilst we've been careful with the giving of treats etc we've cut his portions down a bit, and also cut back a few of the treats. Want to be careful that we're doing it right!

Baldy went to the vets at the weekend for his booster jab. Was a very good boy, didn't make any noise or flinch!

We also got the vet to weigh him properly on his scales, came in at 10.6 Kilos, so much better than we first thought!

Smudge = 13.6K he is a big boy.All his friends are so much smaller in build.

Delighted to hear someone else has a sausage shaped dog.Even the vet calls him sausage .....Well he is a ruby.
alevrob

Back