• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Skin Infection

Ali

I posted earlier in the week as I was concerned about the flaky skin Molly had developed. I took her to the vet where I was told that she just had dry skin and to give her a dose of cod liver oil once a day. However, when I was brushing her today I noticed some scabbing on the skin which started to bleed :( I took her straight back to vet who has put her on antibiotics for a skin infection!!! She also applied a dose of Advocate (spelling?) to kill any external parasites. It seems my little girl has very sensitive skin so changing her food from Hills Science to James Wellbeloved. Poor little thing was whimpering all morning so it must have been really hurting her :( Vet gave her an injection of painkiller though so she's a lot perkier this evening.

Oh the poor little sweetie. I sure hope the infection clears up really fast. Don't you just hate to see them less than happy.

I would get her to a dermatologist at some point and get them to tailor a program to help keep her skin healthy and not sensitive or sore.
Probably use a good quality oatmeal shampoo and conditioner also when bathing and when doing the advocate or flea treatment of choice dot it in several places so it is not concentrated in one spot this should sting less ? Check this with the vet or dermatologist first though.
I swear by fish oil capsules for skin, i use three capsules a day on my men they are obviously good for the omega's and the skin oils but also a natural anti inflammatory and so help with sensitive skin. Again talk to your vet about dosage as it can give some dogs the runs though I've never had any dramas with mine.

Hope your baby is feeling better. Hugs and kissess from me and the boys.

Hmmmm I'd definitely want the vet to do a skin scrape just to check for mites. Mites won't be killed by those topical applications on the shoulders -- you need to use the spray. I'd think she'd be more likely to have something like that than scabs due to an allergy. Also did the vet check for ringworm? Both of these can be very common on puppies. Ringworm is important to identify as it is contagious to humans and can spread to other animals, children, etc.

Ringworm: http://lbah.com/ringworm.htm

Rabbit mites: http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/cheyletiella.htm

Thanks for the information Karlin, I'm definitely going to contact my vet again and discuss this with her as I don't want this dragging on longer than necessary!! Most of her skin seems to have settled down, although the area to her rear and around her tail still quite flaky and she's still scratching a lot. This is only her second day of antibiotics though. Will let you know how things go.

Good luck getting this sorted Ali. It's sooooo stressful when a little one is not 100%. :xfngr: that she is better soon.

Back