• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dylan's long puppy coat falling out!

*Pauline*

I remember lots of posts about dogs coats being two different lengths but wondered what all the fuss was about! Now I know. Dylan always had shorter red hair than white, not a problem. But, after a few weeks of clouds of white hair everywhere in the house, we have a pup with hair of 5 inches long falling out and being replaced with inch long hair. I do hope this new hair grows long. His tail better not change, I'll be very disappointed! If my boy loses this very long coat, he's going to look very skinny! One good thing is that every time someone touches him they comment on how soft he is. The new coat is shinier too.
1238472853_4f5c21b252.jpg

1239326950_f0bff5523a.jpg

1238458867_b5ba0d1655.jpg

Here's a pic of mum and dad as Cathryn mentioned genes.
Dad:
338401221_3620017aeb.jpg

Mum:
448812878_2c937a7804.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like he's getting his "Big Boy" coat to me!! Should come back in nicely over the next few weeks! :lotsaluv:

How old is Dylan now Pauline? I am wondering when Beau will start to blow his coat. He is 7 months and his coat is growing long & silky, but I had heard that this coat eventually gets dropped.

Hey I think it makes sense that Dylan's new coat may only start off about an inch long, and then grow. You'll have to post up some pickies for us.

Ooooh, go Dylan! He's getting all grown up now. :) Pauline his coat should now get even fuller and longer and will be that nice shiny hair.

Cathryn have you ever heard of an adult dog still having an adult coat coming in at age 4? Leo has his adult coat though he doesn't have a heavy coat at all, and had a fuller coat when I got him at 10 months than his half bro blenheim Jaspar had at the same time/age (they are 5 weeks apart). However Jaspar is still only very slowly getting his shiny adult coat in, and they are both going on 4!! He never blew a puppy coat in the sense that Pauline is seeing. He has shiny adult coat in about a four inch band aross his back and I can see it under his fluffy longer hair on his sides and legs. But it is s-l-o-w coming in...:rolleyes: . On the other hand that has always meant the cats create must of my dust bunnies!

Dylan is one on 8th Sept. I'll get those pictures for you. It might be nice and easy with a short coat but I just love it long.

(Pictures will be added to first post)

Last edited:
Hi!

Pauline that is certainly adult coat coming in, sometimes they don't lose that puppy coat around the 3-4 month stage and lose it later on at around a year! When Logan was 15 months old he had got most of his adult coat but had a patch of really long (about 5 inches!) hair in the middle of his back that was still puppy coat, I ended up plucking it out as it looked so out of place!!

Karlin, Coat can come in at any age really, and if you look at dogs in the show ring through the various classes you will see that their coats get progressively heavier and denser with age, so Yes it is possible that Jaspar's coat is still coming in. As a rule of thumb I have found the heavily marked Tri's and the B/T's get the thicker fuller coats more quickly as the hair is a different density to the chestnut hair of the Blenheims and Rubies which can be quite delicate and brittle sometimes!

At the end of the day they will only have as much coat as their genes have "programmed" them for, I have heard of and seen litter mates where one barely had a scrap of coat and the other had a huge thick dense coat, both were fed the same and were kept in exactly the same way, it was just the luck of the draw really, and that is part of the challenge of breeding for me, you just never know what you're going to get, and when you think you have an answer to something, Momma Nature goes and slings you a massive curve ball to keep you on your toes and realise that we are never through learning!!

Pauline, your dog is a day younger than my ruby! Yours is showing mine up coat wise, I wish mine had ears like that!!

I just had a look at the pictures. He is gorgeous. And wow, some of that hair looks luxuriant & long & silky. :luv:

I agree-- he has an amazingly long coat and ears for a one year old! :) He'll be a gorgeous boy with his adult coat too. Boy your pics are a really good example of a puppy coat being 'blown' at a year, as you can reall see the two lengths!

I used to think other people's woes with shedding cavalier hair was more that they started from the point of not being used to having any hair around the house. But now I know from having Lily and my mom's cavalier Lucy that Leo and Jaspar have fairly light coats and that some cavaliers have really heavy coats and do shed all the time... So I've eaten my words. :lol: A Furminator for example will quite literally remove no noticeable hair at ALL with Jaspar and Leo. I love the thick coats -- but the lighter coats are a lot easier to manage I think. :lol:

Cathryn thanks for that info. I ran into the head of the breed club with the dogs last May and she thought Jaspar was under a year and shedding his puppy coat. :shock:

I have always loved Dylan's looks from this photos and know he will be even more handsome with his grown-up coat. He clearly comes by his good looks righteously - his mom and dad are both gorgeous. Thanks for sharing their photos.

i wish i had never had jadan clipped at 11months....i didnt realise then what his coat was doing just knew that it was all over the place so thought giving him a trim would allow it to grow back in one length, (he came out looking like a lamb :( )now he is back to odds and ends except his tail which is lovely and long as i told them not to touch it. his coat should be the same length but is taking forever to grow back he is now 18months. :) at his first vet check she said he would be long haired....at the moment its at odds and ends but everyone does comment on how soft he is even though he was "done" which some said would make him wirey. :)

This may seem a silly question to all you experienced cavalier owners but my Harvey is now 4 months old (black and tan) but his hair is still very short. Is this normal? Will he ever have a long coat? Even his tail is very thin all but a little curl of the very tip.

This may seem a silly question to all you experienced cavalier owners but my Harvey is now 4 months old (black and tan) but his hair is still very short. Is this normal? Will he ever have a long coat? Even his tail is very thin all but a little curl of the very tip.

Yep!

Mine is six months old (as of yesterday :luv: ) & she has short hair but it's thick (still not long, though) along her spine especially around her neck.

Dylan's long hair is nearly all out! His bib is still there and nice with a few curls and his tail is long and he still has his feathers. It's shinier and very smooth but I'm not sure it's as soft.

Look how it used to be, a little tribute!

288891982_557bb7f694.jpg

305274252_6143ff91c2.jpg

317336482_e01598deac.jpg

305268078_80f10bf400.jpg

815826775_9af8b1dd59.jpg

827779033_4561ff0de9.jpg

Dylan's long hair is nearly all out! His bib is still there and nice with a few curls and his tail is long and he still has his feathers. It's shinier and very smooth but I'm not sure it's as soft.

Look how it used to be, a little tribute!

288891982_557bb7f694.jpg

305274252_6143ff91c2.jpg

317336482_e01598deac.jpg

305268078_80f10bf400.jpg

815826775_9af8b1dd59.jpg

827779033_4561ff0de9.jpg

He sure is gorgeous. Harvey has never had that fur ball look. Do you think he ever will?

4 months is early days. What were harvey's parents coats like?

That's the problem I dont know. I only found this web site after we had bought Harvey and then started to read where not to buy puppies from. The lady was running a kennels and grooming place. Although we didn't see his parents we do have a list of all his grandparents and great parents. Also although a have said his black and tan I have just seen a photo on google which looks just like harvey and they are calling the puppy tri-colour because he has a white diamond on his chest (just like Harvey) so should I say his a tri-colour?

If he only has white on his chest and the rest of him is as a black and tan, then he is a black and tan. Sometimes little areas of white turn up. When they are on the chin, it's called a milk chin, I thinks that's ever so cute. Have you posted any pictures on the site yet?

Back