• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

does your cav do this

charly

hey my one year old cav stop breathing when he gets excited. i have to pick him up and either shake him or rub real hard.i brought him to the vet he said it was asthma. now im no vet or been cocky here but i know its not asthma. it doesnt happen an awful lot but i get so upset when it does.does anyone else have this problem any insight would be a load off thanks :dogwlk:

Could it be the kind of back snort thing they do? Do you hear a snort noise? Dylan has done this a few times. I deleted my advice as Cathryn (in her reply below) said the complete opposite to me and she has much more experience than I! I don't want to give wrong advice!

Last edited:
I was thinking the backsnort too. Does he sort of arch his neck and be taking deep breaths making a heavy snorting sound?
Cavaliers have long pallete's but only a short roof of the mouth, if they get excited etc, they can literally start to swallow their pallette, best course of action for this is to put your finger on the bridge of their nose and gently push their chin towards their chest, if this doesn't work than gently pop you fingers into their mouth, this will stop everything in it's tracks! This is a very common Cavalier trait I have to say, very alarming when you first witness it, but over time youbecome used to it and it is not a major problem at all!

Glad you mentioned this as I do something almost opposite to you. Will try your method next time.

The 'snort' more rarely can apparently also have more serious manifestations where they can stop breathing, however. We've had one or two members whose dogs have needed the tracheal surgery to improve breathing.

More info here:

http://cavalierhealth.org/brachycephalic.htm

If he is really not breathing at times, I'd try to see if you can find a vet who is more familiar with this condition and can make sure this isn't the problem. I'd recommend talking to Susan or Finbar or Tannis at any of the Dublin branches of Anicare.ie (Blanchardstown would be closest), or Finbar Heslin at Beaufield vets in Celbridge for example.

If it's more the kind of snorting/gasping that Cathryn describes then just gently tilting the head forward and blocking the nostrils for a few moments works.

thanks

thanks for a replys this is a great site :dogwlk: im only new here what a treat to find it. i have my cav a year so im just getting used to the breed so a great big thank you :rah: :rah: :rah: :rah:

This is a very common Cavalier trait I have to say, very alarming when you first witness it, but over time youbecome used to it and it is not a major problem at all!

What a relief! When I came home today, Mia got so excited she started doing this "back snort" thing and couldn't catch her breath for a few seconds. I think I stopped breathing too--ha!

Thanks Cathryn and Karlin--this board is great! :rah:

Last edited:
Back