• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

of to buy a puppy

charly

i know im not allowed ask for breeder nums etc. but i need tips please im buying a puppy hopefully in the next 2 weeks. where to i find a good breeder. charly who i have now was from a puppy farm,i dont want to make the same mistake again so any help would be greatfully accepted
thanks a thousand :D

It's good you came on this site for advice :D I'm sure someone would be able to give you the name of a good breeder. It may take longer than 2 weeks though! A lot longer for me, I waited 8 months. Finding a breeder you like, who likes you, who has a bitch, who may or may not be pregnant, who may or may not go full term...2 weeks, it's possible I guess, here's hoping (y)

Last edited:
thnkas for that just need a buddy for my lil man, and after the horror story of buying him i dont think i will be reading buy and selll again for puppies:(

Please, take your time in finding a new addition to your home~
It may take awhile, I waited two years for Hogan...but its worth the wait when you have a wonderful, healthy puppy ....Start by going to a show or two and talking people up, you will soon find the cavalier thats perfect for you.....:dogwlk:

the ikc should have a list of breeders and i am sure karlin will be able to point u in the right direction!!!

If you go to www.ckcsrescue.com and look in the 'puppies' section I have lots of advice on buying puppies in Ireland.

You are very, very unlikely to get a puppy from a reputable breeder in only two weeks though -- usually this is a several-months search and may involve going on a waiting list for an upcoming litter. Please *don't* go to breeders listing on online ads sites or the buy&sell -- these are ALL brokers for puppy farms and backyard breeders. *No reputable, health focused, caring breeder uses Done Deal, Buy&Sell or small ads to sell puppies!*

There are very serious and expensive and widespread health issues in the breed and the chance of having a puppy with that will grow up to have these problems is massively higher if you do not find a reputable breeder who does proper cardiac testing as a very *minimum*. Parents should be at LEAST 2.5 years old. Only a handful of show breeders in Ireland care this much about their dogs, sadly -- so it does take time and work to find a good breeder -- also talk to the Northern Irish club and consider PMing Nicki on the board who sometimes knows of puppies from MRI scanned (for syringomyelia) heart tested parents in the UK.

Please, please be sure to read through the information in finding a good breeder in the Library section here, and also on the health issues in the breed so you now what to ask about. (y) Here are the links:

Selecting a breeder: http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=11335
Health issues: http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=8701

Keep in mind the vast majority of cavalier puppies in Ireland (or anywhere) are from puppy farms or backyard breeder breeding the poorest quality, poorest health stock. There are endless heartbreaking stories from owners who buy such dogs and end up with sickly dogs with very expensive or fatal health conditions. Therefore it is very worth your time to take your time. (y)

Unfortunately, being on kennel club lists does not guarantee a good ethical breeder, as almost anyone can get on there. It's better to get to know people in the breed, personally and ask for recommendations.

Charly I am really glad you came here first. Some great advice has already been given here so my two take home messages will simply be...

Choose a breeder not a puppy;
Throw away the time frame.

It is far better to choose a breeder that meets all of your requirements and then go on a waiting list (even if that means waiting 12 months or more) than it is to limit yourself of what puppies are currently available. I really understand that once we make the decision to get a puppy, we want him, like yesterday :) , but given that he will hopefully be a part of your life for in excess of 10 years, you really want to take your time & get the very best puppy you possibly can.

So slow down, take your time and really enjoy the process. Good luck!

I found a pup very quick after I finally decided what I wanted and began my search for a breeder. I went to a local dog show and met breeders there and then I met a couple other breeder through internet search of Cavalier clubs. Then I visited my breeder every weekend for 1 1/2 months at 3 hours each trip. I wanted to make sure I was very comfortable with them. My pup was 11 weeks when I brought her home...the breeder was holding on to her because she was tossing around the idea of keeping her for herself. IMO two weeks is not enough time to make a good decision.

I think there is a possibility that in two weeks the right breeder can crop up so I wouldn't rule out the two weeks as being bad! Just don't compromise yourself because of time is what the advise here is.

Hi just wanted to say that from the time we went searching for a breeder-put on their waiting list- till when we got Marley was over a year. It could have been sooner but after loosing my last cav to MVD we wanted to do everything we could to support a breeder who is doing everything in their power to stop these diseases being apart of this breed. Its horrible waiting, it felt like forever but at the end of the day i'm so glad I waited. I could have gone and bought a puppy from the paper or from a registed breeder that did not do the right health checks but had i done that I would have never have brought Marley home. He is the most wonderful little man in this world, he's helped me move on from the grief of loosing Jake.
So as horrible as it is to wait, do your research so you can bring home a happy healthy friend for Charly! :)

Back