• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Finicky Doggies

PseudoTwins

I'm having a hard time getting Laci and Reggie to eat good. They are so FINICKY! I feel like I'm just :bang: ! We started on Nutro with Royal Canin mixed in, then the doc said to put them on Science Diet but they wouldn't eat that, so then I switched them back to Nutro without Royal Canin. The first day went good. But that changed. Sometimes they don't eat breakfast at all. When that happens, I'll feed them a little at lunchtime and they still don't eat. Tonight I think they were starving, poor babies. :cry*ing: But they sure did eat! Sometimes Reggie won't even walk up to his bowl. I read that at 5 months, they don't need to eat 3 times a day. Is that true? And HELP!

They definitely are at the age where they proably only want two meals at most anyway and that is likely part of the roblem here. Or try just feeding once daily if they are over 6 months. That often solves this problem too. But sounds like there's more going on as well.

Please check some of the posts on problems with feeding (try searching on that topic). I just posted a long reply recently on exactly this and you'll find lots of good advice in previouys discussions as this question comes up regularly. (y) Basically, you have to stop adjusting their schedule, their food, etc to try to get them to eat. JUST FEED! No fussing. They get 15 minutes to eat and if they don't eat, remove the food with no comment. NO treats, NO extra meals, NOTHING til next scheduled feeding. If they don;t eat for a meal or even a day or two *that doesn't matter*. Select a food and stik with it, don't keep rotating them around which only adds to the problem. They are enjoying the game and getting all the attention not eating provides them. You need to break this cycle or this problem will remain a lifelong nightmare. Many of us have been there!
See: http://www.roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm

In particular:

FEEDING DIRECTIONS
Whether you decide to feed a high quality kibble or a commercially prepared whole foods diet, the following directions will apply.

Puppies between 8 and 16 weeks of age do quite well on 3 meals a day. They start out with about a large handful of kibble for each meal or about 1/4 cup. At about 4 to 6 months of age you may begin feeding your puppy twice a day, about 1/2 cup or so each time. Somewhere between 10 and 18 months of age you may begin feeding just once a day--with some really good eaters you may need to feed just once a day by 6 or 7 months of age.

Each time you feed your puppy, put the food down for approximately 15 minutes. If the puppy hasn't finished it after 15 minutes, pick it up and put it away until the next feeding time. Do NOT try to feed in between. Refrigerate if you are feeding a commercially prepared whole foods diet. Do not worry if your puppy appears thin. Puppies are just like humans. Some are very thin while growing up and some are not. It is highly unlikely your puppy will starve itself unless it is already ill. A puppy that grows slowly is best--there is no first prize for gaining full size as early as possible! Puppies who grow slowly are more likely to be able to develop muscle and tissue at the correct rate to keep up the the bone development. Of course some puppies are gluttons! Be careful not to overfeed a glutton.

At 5 months old, their mouths are going to be sore from teething. Try using the smallest kibble (small like Royal Canin) and soften it with a bit of warm water, letting it cool a bit before feeding it to them.

Hang in there - it will get much easier in a month or so.

Thanks for the advice. I have read many articles and books on this subject. I appreciate your input. My question was more specific to this breed rather than all dogs in general.

I apologize. I got confused. My previous reply was intended for the thread I posted titled "How many times is too many times?"

Cathy, I appreciate your information. I will stay with the Nutro but try the warm water trick and see what happens. :thnx:

Back