• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Whistle Training

misty

I wondered if anyone here has trained their Cavalier to the whistle?

I'm going to give it a go with Bradley, as he will relish learning a new skill I hope, as he's very bright.

Any experiences anyone can share gratefully received :)

Well what I do probably isn't quite whistle training, but yes I do have a sports whistle hanging up at the back door, and it serves one purpose only.... that is to call the dogs back from a long way off. I live on acres, so sometimes, particularly on a breezy day, the dogs can't hear me call them. My guys know with absolute certainty that if they hear that whistle go, they are in for a really yummy treat, so they are 100% reliable in responding to it. :D

I guess you could use the whistle the same way you use clicker training. Any sound could be used, so long as the dog can hear it.

Let us know how it goes.

Let us know how you get on! Mine come to my whistle but I've managed to grind my teeth badly at the front and can't whistle properly anymore so I was going to get a whistle.

Are you using a one of those silent whistles? - I think my mum used to have one for her goldens.

Let us know how you get on! Mine come to my whistle but I've managed to grind my teeth badly at the front and can't whistle properly anymore so I was going to get a whistle.

Are you using a one of those silent whistles? - I think my mum used to have one for her goldens.

It's not a silent whistle. It's a gun-dog whistle, 210 1/2 high-pitched. Marlon's better with it than Bradley already ;)

Back