• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dylan and his new exercise pen *video*

*Pauline*

Dylan's exercise pen arrived this morning. It's really good quality, I'm very pleased and it was so cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MEDIUM-HEAVY-...5178962QQihZ019QQcategoryZ20748QQcmdZViewItem

I just had a go at training him to go into his pen on command. A little confused between pen and bed but we have only trained for a couple of minutes. The pen will only be used if I have to go out for an evening with a someone popping in to let him out for a potty break. I usually use the crate but I want him to be able to stretch his legs. Just popped my head round the door, he's sleeping in it!

I made a little youtube video! Ash says I don't sound like this in real lifeicon_blshing
Cathryn will tell you...Cathryn...Cathryn...are you still awake?! I don't sound like that do I? :lol: :slp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFOAD-MsX8o

:slp: :slp: Huh? What?!! Oh Hi Pauline!! :lol:

Great video, what a good lad Dylan is, and NO you don't sound like that in real life at all!! :lol:

Judging by that Pauline, Dylan would enjoy obedience classes. I think a little of his problem is that pen and bed sound very similar. He went into his crate much more quickly when you said bed.

I'd give Teddy 10 seconds to escape the pen, as he can open a crate in 15.:D

OMG Pauline, that is so sweet. Dylan is very, very cute, and such a good listener. I love the down he does. He's really focused on you.

Judging by that Pauline, Dylan would enjoy obedience classes. I think a little of his problem is that pen and bed sound very similar. He went into his crate much more quickly when you said bed.

I'd give Teddy 10 seconds to escape the pen, as he can open a crate in 15.:D

Thanks Barbara, Dylan goes to obedience classes every Sunday, we have had a month off as it's closed for summer and starts again this Sunday. Last year we missed out on the exams as he was ill for the bronze and therefore couldn't do the silver but this year we will have a go.

You're right, I'll think of another command for the pen. At bed time, he's in his crate at the "get to..." so if I begin in the same way, "get in your pen" he will get confused. It won't be up often though so I don't mind as long as he is happy in there. Well he was asleep within 20 mins with the door locked, so job done :D

I don't think it's the 'get in ' part as much as the 'e' sound in pen and bed, being the same, so perhaps a new name for the pen?. I read somewhere that dogs respond more to the last thing they hear; hence liking names ending in 'y' or 'ie'.

Sorry to diverge from the naming of th epen, but Pauline I loved your video!!!! Dylan is sooooooo very well behaved. His down was fantastic! Cleo will only stay down if bribed with a treat and then only for a second. Despite a year of regular practice, she does not want to stay down :rolleyes: :(

Tanya, if you have stairs, put Cleo on the landing and sit yourself a few steps down, so your shoulders are at the level of her paws, and bribe her into a down. Then, while stroking her, practice the command by telling her what a good down she's doing She is more likely to stay down because she feels near to you. I did this with both Joly and Teddy.

Last edited:
Thanks Barbara, that's a good idea. I can get her to go into a down from a sit, if I have a treat in my hand. I run it past her nose in a downwards fashin saying lie down and she will drop her front to get the food, but the pop her bum up straight away, so she doesn't stay down. :rolleyes: Thanks for the tip about the stairs. Will have to put that into action tonight and see if it works! I'll keep you posted.

Try moving the treat downwards, as though you are going to tuck it between her chest and the floor. If her bum goes up, don't give the treat and hold it so she can't take it, and hopefully, she will relax into a down , bum included. Gradually increase the amount of time you want 'bum down' before treating, but don't treat if her bum is up.

Wow! He is really good at the obedience commands! I, too, loved his "down"!

Daisy is very smart, too, but unfortunately, I think we've bribed her too often with treats. She pretty much does all the obedience commands and all of her tricks only when we are holding a treat. Otherwise, she just kind of sits and looks at us as if to say, "Well? Are you going to give me a treat if I do this, or what? If not, I'd really rather not bother." icon_whistling :rolleyes:

She will do some commands (sometimes) for a "Good girl," but in general, she's got us trained very well! I really took to heart the advice of the obedience trainer when she said "Lots of treats -- don't be stingy with the treats!" I should have done an intermittent reward schedule after she originally caught on to what I wanted (with verbal praise in between the treats, of course).

And BTW, Dylan is VERY cute! I just love these dogs! I wish I could talk my husband into getting a second one. After $700 of vet bills for Daisy's upset tummy this summer, I think it will be a very hard sell, though! (Thank goodness for pet insurance!)

Go to jail!!! :D :D I just love Dylan videos. Pauline, he is sooo focused on you and it's obvious he wants to do exactly what you tell him to do. Good boy Dylan!!

I just went to bed with a migraine for 3 hours and woke up feeling worse.

I did have a little treat in my hand this time because it was a new command. Sit and down are easy for Dylan. Down stay for two minutes while I walk away is where we're at in class but he isn't any good at this yet :rolleyes: We have moved away from treats in obedience class for the same reason Daisy's Mum is experiencing. We went from treats to 5 commands for a treat then just praise.

Oh, Dylan is such a good, sweet boy! :luv: He'd be great in agility too.

He behaves so much like my Geordie - so enthusiastic and so eager to please!

Ha! After watching the video, I was going to post, "I love your accent"! Then I came back to the thread and found that you don't like the way you sound...? Sounds good to me. :)

Anyway, Dylan is precious! How smart he is! That is quite an impressive "down"!

Sometimes Molly goes down and pops right back up again. Like Tanya, she will only obey commands if I have a treat in my hand! Well, she'll do a sit or a down, but forget the stay!

On the naming convention, when I first trained Molly on her crate, I called it her "room". Then I got the pen later and wished I had saved "room" for the pen and called the crate "bed". Too late for me, but perhaps you could call Dylan's pen "room"?

Keep the videos coming!
-laura

Back