• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question regarding house training

ann

I have a friend who has a 9 week old puppy. She is lifting the puppys drinking water up at 7-30 each night in order to help the puppy become clean at night.....
I have never lifted drinking water up for any puppy I have owned, but I said I would ask for her.....

I have lifted water around 7:30 to help with potty training before but for an older pup. I don't have experience with a pup of nine weeks. Maybe someone else will advise. :D

Personally I think it is cruel to withold water from a dog. I've always read dogs should have access to water at all times when at home.

Leave the water down. If you have to take the puppy out 2 or 3 times a night to me that's just part of taking care of the puppy. I used to take Puddles out every 2 hours at night whether she needed to go or not. She was so hard to potty train! Gotta love her!!!

Hmmmm...I was completely the opposite when housetraining. I let them have one last drink 1 1/2 hours before bedtime and took the water up. Now, it's not an issue. Shelby always gets a drink right before she goes into her crate for the night and never wakes me up to go out.

Hi!

I too remove all water bowls around 8pm, basically if a dog/puppy is sleeping it does not need water, when I have left water around at night it is frequently knocked over etc. They will take what they need throughout the day and this has always worked well for me over the years!!

We also take Chester's water up at around 9pm and he is just over a year.

When we were house training him we would take the water up around 8pm. Then when he went out for his last toilet we knew he would make it through the night.

I take Molly's water up at around 8pm and to be honest she doesn't even look for it - I don't see it as cruel - I don't drink a lot of fluids myself in the evening so I'm not up to the loo during the night :p She has access to water all day and most of the evening. Once she's fully house trained I'll leave her water down. I've done this since the first day we had her as a puppy needs her rest as much as we do (and toilet trips at night interrupt her sleep as much as ours). She goes out for her last wee at 10pm and sleeps right through til 7am. We did have a week of getting up with her during the night so she could to the toilet whe she first came home but that didn't last long. The book 'How to housetrain your dog in 7 days' that Karlin reccommended to me even suggests restricting your puppys water supply to certain times during the 7 housebreaking days during the day - this would strictly apply to those who are home with there dogs all day though and not out at work. Taking up a water bowl in the evening prevents night time toilet trips which encourages your puppy to hold it, which is ultimately your goal when housetraining :)

I used to take the water up at 9 pm. To be honest I feld guilty if they had been chewing chewy sticks as this does make them thirsty, but as long as they get the opportunity to have a good wee before bed should be no problem.

Back