• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

"Leave it!" *Video*

*Pauline*

Training Dylan to not take food until he was told was important as I used to look after a little girl every once in a while. Here she is with Dylan.
458163415_a36f3e2741.jpg

I only had to turn my back and either she was feeding him crisps or she was eating his food! So I taught him not to take food until told. He will steal food given the chance though. A while back at obedience training the instructor said I was making it too easy by having the food some distance away, probably only 10" but I thought I'd work on it. So here's Dylan's trick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJyrq7o9rbo

Aw Dylan!! Love the way he can't take his eye's off the little treat, talk about focused!!:lol: :lotsaluv:

I used to be able to put a sweet on the floor, under my springers' noses and get them to leave for 2 minutes. Izzy was good at not taking and would never take from anyone but family (his choice). However , with the threesome together, there is no chance of 'leave it' with food, as there's too much competition, but, individually, it works with Monty and Joly (Teddy -no chance) and none of them tries to take from my grandchildren, though the carpet gets a bit wet (with dribble) sometimes.

Teddy likes to tear mail or , better still, newspapers coming through the letterbox, so he has his 'Mine!!!!!' command, which has to be on time or he's in for the kill.

WOW Pauline!! That is fantastic!!!!!!!! What a good job Dylan did with that treat! My two are good at 'leave it'...but I am NOT sure they would be able to control themselves like Dylan did!!!!!!!! Awesome job Dylan!

Oh Precious Dylan!!!
I love his trick! What a good boy!
I loved your other video, too, he was prancing all around going into the pen and into his crate!
He is Gorgeous and a GENIOUS!;)

:w*w: That's no trick - that's serious TALENT!!!!!! cl*p cl*p cl*p cl*p Pauline that is Fantastic cl*p cl*p

I LOVE that, Pauline!!:lotsaluv:

Dylan is so quick and smart, and I can see that he is so eager to please you! That's LOVE for sure.

p.s. i love your accent as well!

Can you fly over and spend some time training Annie? ;)

Seriously though, Dylan is such a well-behaved boy. I loved the way he stared at the tidbit of food.

Can I tell you again how much I love Dylan videos??!! :D He is the most amazing little guy. I love how eager he is to please you. What a smart little man!

Pauline he's brilliant (and gorgeous) I wish I could get Rex to do that :rolleyes: .

You could (y) He learnt this ages ago but as I recall, at first I put my hand in front of his chest to stop him taking the treat on the floor, I'd say leave it or wait. Then, without the hand, If he made a mistake I'd just say uh uh! I think it was obvious to him by holding him back a couple of times that I wanted him to wait. Then I put it closer and closer to him. My commands were much firmer and clearer at first than in the video. All credit to him though, he is easy to train.

I got my tips from a friend who does puppy walking for guide dogs, her dog had to wait 3 minutes by it's bowl for it's food. I said Dylan would never be able to do that, he'd dash at his food, but it was easy. I only make him wait for a couple of seconds.

Pauline,

Are you doing Good Citizen with Dylan, if not you should do as he'll [pass with flying colours at least up to Silver right away!:D

Pauline,

Are you doing Good Citizen with Dylan, if not you should do as he'll [pass with flying colours at least up to Silver right away!:D

Hi Kirsty,

Yes we are but last year he was ill for the bronze so didn't do that and couldn't do the silver without the bronze. We are in the middle class but I'm going to do the exams this year, class starts again tomorrow (Sunday).

I was there for the other dogs silver exam, I took part a little though I wasn't being marked, the judge loved Dylan, he used to have Cavaliers before he had police dogs (He's a police dog trainer). It's a hard test though Kirsty, 2 minute down/stay/walk away/return to dog that's the one they fail on. All but one passed this time. You have to get 100% in the exam.

Back