• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help please

quoman

Hi everyone, I'm going to see a cavvie pup tomorrow to add to the one we already have.
The breeder is very reputable from the cavalier club, however I've been told that the vet has said that he has a very slight heart murmur and that he (the vet) is not worried about it.
My problem is that it is a pre existing condition and therefore any heart problems in the future will not be covered under insurance.
Is it to much of a risk to take....Please help

We didnt get our Chester from a reputable breeder and it wasnt till I found this website that I understood fully why you should.

When we took him for his first injections our Vet also found a heart murmour but we were told that a lot of puppies were born with them and that they close up on their own. When we went back for the 2nd lot, the heart murmour couldnt be heard and they gave him the all clear.

In respect of our insurance, we are with Pet Plan and they said that the initial murmour didnt afffect our policy at all.

I think you are right about the insurance issue, I would phone around insurance companies. I personally would be worried he has a heart problem so young, no one can predict how this may develop. That's just my personal opinion though.

Usually this isn't really a murmur per se; it's called a puppy flow murmur. There's a post on them in the health section of the Library. They are almost always of no consequence and disappear by 6 months. A puppy that young would not have an MVD murmur as MVD is a progessive disease. Other murmurs in puppies can be quite serious but it sounds like the vet thinks it is merely a flow murmur.

If it affects all heart issues on insurance then I'd look for a different puppy.

Thanks

I've been told by one insurer that if its clear within 12 months then the policy will be reviewed to cover heart problems. The breeder seems very confident that it is not an issue and I've got a feeling that if you can't trust the bona fide breeders then I may be taking a chance whoever I buy from as they probably would'nt be so honest ?

Back