• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My little Brian

sassy.pips

I collected this little fella last week - he is 8 weeks old today. Happy Birthday Brian :-x

I was unsure what to look for in a Blenheim when choosing him - what do you guys think - has he the markings of a show dog?

383294177a5430484917l.jpg

383294177a5430493195l.jpg

383294177a5430519300l.jpg

383294177a5430530606l.jpg

he is so furry and adorable i bet he gives great cuddles!! I know nothing about show dogs sorry

He's a sweetie:lotsaluv:

As for show markings, there is a LOT more to a show dog than the actual markings, they are quite simply the icing on the cake!! First thing I look for is Temperament & Health which are both of equal vital importance, then conformation, a dog must be built correctly, then movement, (a dog that is put together right will move correctly!) last of all comes markings, of course there are some markings deemed "incorrect/unacceptable". There are other factors too, but those are just a few to be going on with!

After almost 15 years in and out of the showring (a few "pregnant pauses! :lol: ) I have seen many ugly ducklings turn into swans and vice versa! Are you hoping to show Brian? :lotsaluv:

I love to show him yes. He has such a lovely tempermant. I'll look into that more though when he is a little older - although what age should I start training him? and is this something I can do myself starting with simple exercises?

He's darling, which is all that is important to a pet owner who has bought a pet-quality dog. :) He won't be serious show quality unless you bought him from one of the Irish show breeders, and a reputable show breeder would not have sold a puppy as a potential show quality dog at this age as you cannot gauge prospects for months yet. (y) Was the breeder you bought from a show breeder? Are there some champions in his immediate hritage -- parents, grandparents for example? This is what you would need to be looking for.

We have some people who show, and some show breeders here too, who could steer you to further information if you are interested in showing in the future. :) Generally though, markings are the least important quality in a show dog. What is far more important is structure, head shape, temperament, movement, with markings a minor consideration but sort of icing on the cake. Even mismarkings are acceptable in a dog of superb quality otherwise. The kind of structure and movement etc you want is the result of very careful and considered breeding from the very best quality dogs. That is why breeders have pet puppies to sell in the first place -- they are looking to hang on to only the the very best for breeding and showing.

Prospective show dogs are held on to for several months by breeders before they are sold as possible show dogs, because a lot changes in those early months -- bites that were correct may go off, movement that looked good may change; body shape may alter, heads may decline in quality. Likewise a less likely candidate sometimes improves, but this would be very rare to improve to become show quality. A show quality dog is sold at as such and costs considerably more than a pet quality dog -- and I do mean *considerably*!! :lol: Well beyond what a pet buyer would even consider paying. :cool:

He is so beautiful, I just love it when they are in the fuzzy teddy bear stage sooooo cute!

I'll definitely be considering him for shows when he is a little older - I'll be looking at getting the fundimentals right first though to ensure he has the best start in life.

There are champions in his blood lines, the breeder detailed this on his pedigree forms. So maybe my little Brian can be one too some day :-L

Don't know much about show quality versus pet quality - But I do know a cute puppy when I see one! And Brian is one cute puppy. You and he will have wonderful years together to cuddle and play and just plain be together. From my point of view, that's all that matters.

He is adorable, but it makes me sad that a breeder would sell a 7 week old pup, that soooo young. :(

He is definately a nice looking puppy! Like others have said, a lot can change as they grow up and at just 8 weeks old, it's anyones guess. Anyone who both shows and breeds dogs will tell you about puppies they let go that they should not have and puppies they kept that they should have let go.

We are no exception to that rule. A while back we saw one of the puppies that we placed in a pet home in Rochester, Mn; we were just sick because he was absolutely stunning and would have championed in no time. On the other hand, we have Eva (AKA, Our Little Mess) that we kept because she showed so much promise. By the time we figured out that she was not going to be show quality, we had fallen too much in love with her and couldn't place her.

So let him grow up a while and see how he develops.

What a cute boy! I'm developing a craving for a blenheim, I think...

Re conformation, is it true that at 8 weeks (or is it 12?) all the proportions are as they would be in an adult, thus giving an experienced breeder some idea of what the grown dog will look like? Obviously it's not foolproof, as things can change... just wondered if that's true.

What a cute boy! I'm developing a craving for a blenheim, I think...

Re conformation, is it true that at 8 weeks (or is it 12?) all the proportions are as they would be in an adult, thus giving an experienced breeder some idea of what the grown dog will look like? Obviously it's not foolproof, as things can change... just wondered if that's true.

Yes this is true, but it is not infalable (sp?) conformation is there from a very young age indeed, HOWEVER, there are many parts that make the whole so to speak, as Bruce has said and myself too, many swans have turned into ugly ducklings and vice versa!! I currently have a totally stunning young boy here who just needs to mature and fill into his frame but who has a HUGE, "maybe" about him, who knows if this lad will fulfill his early promise and potential??

Back