• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Things they bring home

Barbara Nixon

We've often had posts where members expressed thier horror at the contents of thier dogs' mouths, so imagine how a lady, from Derby.felt , yesterday, when her German Shepherd brought home a human hand that he'd unearthed in a neighbour's garden. After moving the family of five, from the property, police dug up the rest of the body and are carrying out investigations. This was on a quiet estsate and not in a troubled area.

that happened just a mile from me, I dont know her but have been told that she works for the same company as I do

Sasha picked up something the other day, and brought it in the house. Fished it out of her mouth. Half a mouses head. One the cats had left as a present. Which was a bit better than the baby RAT they left dead in the yard this morning. Thanks cats!!! Sasha wanted to play with it - we didn't let her and OH has thankfully moved the ratty now.

:eek::eek: I really don't know what I would have done had that been me!! :grnyuk: Totally and utterly scary!!

But what about the dilemma you face ? Do you grab the evidence for the police or let your dog eat it; both options deserving a double yuck ?

I certainly couldn't bare to touch, but if the dog ate the evidence, i wouldn't been ken about licks in future.

get as far away from the dog as possible & tell the police to retrive the hand , I certainly wouldnt touch it. If the dog eats it they'd just have to get the vet to make them throw it back up.
not that i've thought it through ,lol

I have a phobia of dead things , especially human dead things.

Nothing yet, but appears that the body has only been there for a few months. On hearing the news item on tv, I'd assumed it was an old set of bones.

Quotation from the police :
"Murder? We are a long way off - there may be a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why the body is there."

What an odd thing to say.

this what the local paper reported

BODY DUE TO BE IDENTIFIED

09:30 - 08 September 2007

Police hope next week to be able to confirm the identity of a body found on wasteland in Derby.

Human bones were unearthed by a dog at the back of houses in Worcester Crescent, Chaddesden, on Tuesday evening. Police cordoned off the area and carried out an extensive search after the partly-clothed remains of a man were recovered by officers.

A postmortem examination on Thursday revealed that the man had not suffered any physical trauma and his death was not being treated as suspicious.

The body has been sent away for DNA testing.

Police believe they know the identity of the dead person but are waiting for tests to confirm it.

How stories get altered by the media.

According to the tv news the body was actually buried in the garden of a neighbour of the dog's owner So it must be the dog's family of five who have been temporarily moved out.

this was in the paper the day after

slideshow_backarrow.gif
Photo 1 of 5
slideshow_forwardarrow.gif

1519636.jpg

print17.gif
print this story
email17.gif
Email this story to a friend

Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list

CLUE TO IDENTITY OF MYSTERY BODY

4 readers have commented on this story. Click here to read their views.
BY PAUL BULL AND KELLY SHORROCK
[email protected]

09:30 - 06 September 2007

Police believe they may have identified body parts discovered by a dog in Derby wasteland.

The remains were found in bushes on wasteland between houses in Worcester Crescent and Keyhaven Close in Chaddesden on Tuesday.

Officers today said they thought they knew who the dead person was and had been speaking to relatives.

Detective Superintendent Tony Blockley said they believed the remains were of a Derby man in his 50s.

He said: "We think we have identified him but we are waiting for DNA results to confirm this.

"Early indications show that he is a local Derby man in his 50s and I would describe him as having a chaotic lifestyle.

"He would often move between addresses and disappear for weeks or months at a time."

When police were called to the scene on Tuesday, they discovered a skull and partially-clothed body parts.

They said there was no evidence yet to suggest foul play but they were not ruling anything out.

They said they were pursuing a number of lines of inquiry, including the suggestion that the dead person may have been sleeping rough.

It is thought the remains had been there for a number of months.

The alarm was raised when Rocko, a German shepherd who lives with his owner in Worcester Crescent, brought home a severed hand in his mouth.

His owner, who did not want to be named, said she had let him out, along with her other dog, a labrador called Kookey, in the garden just before 5pm on Tuesday.

The 41-year-old mother-of-three said: "Kookey came back in but Rocko appeared at the side window with something in his mouth. I thought, 'My God, that looks like a hand'."

Her 27-year-old partner said he then picked up the hand, using a towel, to examine it.

He said: "It looked like a left hand but with the thumb missing. I said we'd better phone the police.

"They said it could be a fox's paw but they'd come down. They were around in minutes with the blues and twos on."

The two officers then went to the corner of the garden and the bushes where Rocko had been.

It is thought the dog got out of the garden through a hole in the rear garden fence.

The woman householder said: "A female police officer moved some bushes out of the way, had a look, turned around and said, 'I've found a skull'.

"Then they said it was a crime scene and taped it all off.

"It's shocking. I'm in a state of disbelief - it hasn't fully sunk in yet.

"We've had to move out while the investigation continues. It's upsetting because we don't know what's happened to the person."

The woman's semi-detached property, a neighbouring house and surrounding land were cordoned off and forensics experts spent yesterday examining the scene.

Rocko's owner said where the body was found was overgrown and thick with brambles.

He said: "I can't understand why the body was there. If there had been anything down there, Kookey would have known about it. She barks at cats and foxes."

Detective Inspector Pat Parry, of Derby North CID, said: "At this point in time we have no evidence to suggest foul play.

"It's a methodical investigation into a body that's been found in unusual circumstances."

t3.dll

Same here, Angela. I could happily pick up a live spider, locust, or whatever, but not a dead one.

no , I dont do insects either ,lol I don't even look at my dogs once they're gone & certainly have never opened the bags containing their ashes.

I only looked very briefly. When Cindy died , I thought she looked oddly posed and so asked my son to investigate. I took Sally to be put to sleep and was upset by her (after death) twitching, so looked away. Benji, I took to be put to sleep, but had him anaesthetised, so I could leave the room, before they continued. When Izzy died, it was dark and a brief look at his pose was enough to tell me and so I sent david out to see to him.

I've seen plenty of dead hamsters and fish, but they somehow seem quite unconnected to the beautiful animal that sniffed for food or swam round the aquarium.

Ashes wise, there's nothing to fear. They are just grey dust and impossible to relate back to your pet.

The crematorium lady teases me about not looking in the bags .

The only one i've been comfortable with seeing was my sisters Bullmastiff , they had to give her two doses with her being big so she started snoring after the first & it really was like she'd just gone to sleep. It was actually quite nice. That may seem strange but a lot of my previous dogs deaths have been traumatic.

When my grandma died we had to collect her wedding ring from the funeral parlour & my sister left me in the car with it. I was not happy ,lol

I blame that film pet semetery for my phobia

Back