• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Feeding advice

clark67

Hi can you tell me when you stop giving them 2 meals a day? Harvey is 20 weeks old and now and not sure when to cut down to just one meal. He has a mix of james wellbeloved and nature diet which he loves. Also when they do go to one meal is it given in the evening?

all 3 of our dogs are given 2 meals a day , they get their morning meal at 7:30ish and their evening meal at 6pm

they too are on a mix of natures diet and JWB

lisa

It's better you keep two meals, than give all the food once and then starve all day! The same thing goes for people, more meals better digestion.

Fivos now eats twice and the rest of the day looks at me with these puppy eyes, like he hasn't eaten for eges. I think that if i feed him once he'll hate me!!:D

Hi,
I feed my Cav and Brittany spaniel only once a day. Why? Because at 12 lbs, my Cav gets only 1/2 cup of high quality, human-quality, grain-free food. If I were to divide that in half, it would look like so little, I'd be inclined to feed her a little more and she'd just end up getting fat. My brit I could certainly feed twice a day as at 38 lbs he gets 11/2 cups, but it would only tease my Cav to do so.

Honestly, they have adapted just fine and both are in excellent shape. They get a few treats throughout the day and that seems to make them happy.

From the AKC website:
Puppies under six months should get three or four meals a day. They are growing rapidly, but their stomachs have limited capacity. After six months they can handle two to three meals a day.

Adult dogs should be fed according to their size and energy needs. Most adults should get two meals a day.

Some adult dogs do well with one meal a day, but some will vomit a whitish foam when their stomachs are empty. That is their way of telling you they need two meals per day.

I've always liked to keep my dogs on 2 meals per day. The morning one is much lighter, with the late afternoon one being the main meal of the day. Maybe I am anthropomorphising, but I just think 24 hours seems a long time between meals. Lots of people do move their dogs to just 1 meal per day at around 12 months though.

When feeding 2 or more meals per day to an adult dog, it is important though to be careful not to over feed, as it is very easy to do so wth multiple meals.

:D I feed Cleo twice a day. I give her more in the morning and less in the evening. She gets sooo excited when the food bowl goes down that I like to think it's a treat for her - something to look forward to as the day progresses. :paw:

I give ours 2 meals/day. If I don't by morning, I have a couple of dogs that will throw up foam or bile.

Back