• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Madness when breeder visits us?

TonySlater

Does anyone know if its normal for a Cav to turn hyper in behaviour when the original breeder comes to visit?
It is making life rather difficult when she visits and I am not sure if there is anything we can do to resolve or ease the issue.

When she is not here, he is quite normal and well behaved, even overnight there is no problems with him.

Any advice or comments would be welcome.

Last edited:
When I go to visit dogs I bred they generally seem to remember me no matter how long since the previous visit, my own parents dogs are ecstatic to see me, as too is my mother-in-laws dog and my daughters best friends dog, it can be embarrassing both for myself and for the respective owners. HOWEVER, I have never yet encountered behaviour such as you are describing and am personnally at a loss to explain it! :confused:

I can see both sides of the situation, your frustration and your sister's embarrassement, I just wish I had an answer to your problem is all!!

Well, to start with when she spends the night I'd put the dog in with her! :lol:

I suppose the other thing is to ask if you've done enough obedience with the dog to be able to put him into a sit or long downstay when she visits? If he can;t do these things, it would be a good idea to get into a class to work on them and be sure to do 10 or 15 minutes practice every day with him, keeping it fun and positive, never punishing. If he has the ability to do these things he will automatically have learned a good level of self control that will carry into a stimulating and distracting environment such as your sister's visits. Though keep in mind when you practice, it needs to include gradually introducing distractions as a dog only used to following cues offered indoors at home when it is quiet will not have the ability to continue to focus with distractions.

Other that that, don't have any suggestions. It's nice he remembers his breeder though! :)

It's callled.....love! And in a big way. I'm sorry...I had to chuckle because, although Jake is a very friendly little guy, he goes absolutely nuts when we he sees our breeder. He rubs on her and just stares at her with goo-goo eyes!! I have nothing constructive to add...except does he calm down a day or so after she leaves?

It sure sounds like he remembers your sister. In a very small way I would think she would be flattered. Does he get this excited about anyone else who comes to your house? It occurred to me that he may be getting excited about some of the smells that are on her from her home: other dogs, puppies, his first home, etc, etc. Remember that we can't even begin to imagine all that a dog can smell. For example, I'm sure a lot of you have heard about dogs that can sense or smell chemical changes in a persons body prior to a seizure and can alert the person.

As to fixing the problem, well that's a lot tougher. You sure can't change the scents on your sister, so I think just keep working on his obedience. He is also still young and may calm down a bit as he gets a little older.

Or just blame it all on your sister for breeding such an unruly dog and tell her to fix it :lol: :lol:

Back