• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

need advice ... please help asap

mt0382

hi everyone -- unfortunately when i returned home this evening i found something that i have NEVER known henry to do his whole life with me ... He got into the trash can. the other day I brought home some chicken bbq wings and henry went absolutely nuts.. i've never seen him react that way to human food before !! i let him lick my fingers a bit just because he was so so excited about it (i know, i know i know, i shouldn't have and now i feel like a horrible mommy) ....
anyway, he must have smelled the bbq bones from the wings in the trash and got them out-- its so funny because he really searched for them- nothing else in the bin was touched.
i suspect he ate about 4-5 chicken wing bones, relatively small--- but what do i do now?? i called the emergency vet, and she said to look for vomiting, loose stools, etc.. and I felt all around his tummy and he did not wince at all as if in pain. Its so late here- like 1;30 AM but i'd appreciate ANY help or advice of what i should do. I was thinking of taking him into the vet tomorrow for an x-ray just incase. if you can write me back, i could use some words of comfort.
gosh, i feel like such a bad bad mommy. I'm sorry im rambling- i'm just really upset with myself for leaving the bones there in the first place after his crazy reaction to the sauce. my instant messanger name is tucuxi320, and i'm sure i will be up all night watching him.
thanks for reading ! oh i am so sad
marisa

apparently you feed them bread to coat the bones.

hope he's ok. I've known dogs do similar things & be fine

my friend ALWAYS feeds her dogs chicken bones! Some people feed there dogs chicken necks! so i am not sure if that is the same!

Sorry i cannot be of anymore help to u!

my friend ALWAYS feeds her dogs chicken bones! Some people feed there dogs chicken necks! so i am not sure if that is the same!

Sorry i cannot be of anymore help to u!

raw bones are not as sharp as cooked.

Oh they have very good noses.:p

Teddy has always been a bin thief and his method is to scrabble until the bin falls over. A few weeks ago, I bought a new stainless steel bin and , as he was marking it baddly with his claws, I've starting only putting only items not containing or contaminated with food into it.

On Wednesday, Paul visited and Teddy was heard scrabbling at the bin. paul laughed at his antics and asked why he was doing it. This was unusual since I'd made the change, but all became clear when Paul admitted to putting in his unwanted mail and a paper bag which had contained a sausage roll.

Once the bag, which didn't even bear any marks or obvious bits of pastry, was removed, Teddy lost interest.

I wonder whether he can get a job with the food police, at airports.:p

Like the emergency vet said, keep a close eye on him and call your regular vet in the morning.

In the meantime, let me tell you about a trip my wife Kris and I took several years ago. We went to Cozumel, Mexico with a large group of people and we rented a beachside house. It came with a housekeeper that made dinner for us every day. The day we had chicken, he asked us to put all the bones on a separate plate. Later that evening I watched him take that plate of chicken bones and give the whole thing to his dog :yikes. I asked him what the heck he was doing and he looked at me like I was from mars and said he has been feeding chicken bones to his dog since it was a puppy with no problems!!! My God.

I sure wouldn't feed chicken bones based on that story, but I guess the point is that you don't have to assume this is a dire emergency unless your vet says so or you see any changes in him. Good luck.

Please do keep an eye on him My cocker spaniel Ben got into the bin once I am sorry to say he was very ill he had to have 2 operation before they got him right in the middle of the secord one they find a lump they gave him 6 mouths to live he did live a bit longer
So please do keep an eye on him and if you are worried get him to a vet but if you do tell them about the chicken hope that everthing is OK
----Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

You can see that many of us have had these sorts of things happen at one time or another, so please don't beat yourself up!

Good advice has been given up above... watch him and talk with your vet. The odds are in your favor that everything will be fine.

And, you've learned something new! Which is a good thing! :)

Hope all is well with your boy!

As others have said before, watch him closely and if he shows anything untowards get to the vet with him! Raw chicken bones are more pliable and also more easily digested, I too, have in the past, given raw chicken wings to my dogs until my supplier retired!! Cooked bones are very brittle and if they are crunched up can become sharp and cause damage as they go down the throat and through the stomach and intestinal system.

:xfngr: that there will be no comeback on this and that you can merely chalk it up to experience!! :hug: You are NOT a bad Momma, we all make mistakes and we all learn from them, it is a fact of life I'm afraid!!

Mine occasionally get hold of cooked chicken bones that people in my neighbourhood annoyingly throw out for the pigeons to eat. :mad: I always try to get them out and away asap as they ARE dangerous -- cooked chicken bones splinter easily and even a small shard could puncture the gut or stomach which would lead to a potential emergency. Raw bones are said to be different and definitely are softer but I had a near emergency with a raw chicken wing so have my serious doubts about how much safer they actually are in dogs that don't really chew every bite. I feel safer with large raw joint bones myself now, or chicken necks (raw).

The chances are nothing will happen as many dogs get into the trash now and then so watch for other signs. I'd definitely feed bread to add some volume to cushion any bones. This is the same thing to do when dogs eat broken glass, Xmas ornaments etc.

I bet he will be perfectly fine but it is a good idea to get a trash bin with a lid that seals tightly (or put chicken bones outside immediately). I put chicken bones into a plastic bag and stick them in the freezer til the day the trash is collected. Keeps them from smelling and out of reach of the dogs.

Miles has been eating raw chicken wings, necks, etc. since he was little, and up to this point has not had a problem as far as digesting the bones or getting sick. He gets a small bit of food before he's fed the raw meat and bones to coat his insides, so feeding him something like bread is a great suggestion. Like everyone else said, I would just keep an eye on him to make sure he's okay, since he's not used to eating this kind of food.

Back