• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sam

sallymum

Brought Sam to the vet this morning as since last night he has been coughing, panting and worst on his feet than usual.
The vet reacons his heart muscle is very weak his murmer has got worst and his valves are leaking very badly. I only had him in the vets in June when they upped his meds.
Sam is now on 5 mg Enalapril, 5mg fortekor and also a water tablet a day.
Hopefully this will work for awhile but anyone with experience of this how long can i expect the tablets to keep doing their job. It seems while they kept his heart under control for awhile they dont seem to be working as long now.
I dont think i could face anything happening to Sam as though he wasnt my first cav. he has just taken a bigger chunk of my heart than the others. Also with coco passing i dont know how i would face another one going.:cry*ing:

I am so sorry about Sam I donot know what to say I hope that the pills pick him up again I will keep you and him in my thoughts
Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

Mary, so sorry too hear about your Sam, hopefully the higher doses of meds will
prevent him from becoming overloaded with fluid and take some of the strain off his heart. Sending hugs to you and Sam,
Amanda, Elliot and Milly

Positive thoughts going out for Sam. Hope his meds work and he is stablized soon.

Every case of mvd seems to be different. Some dogs have a low grade for ages, which, then, suddenly soars, while others have a very high grade, with no symptoms, for years. I know of one of the latter, who once on medication , deteriorated rapidly. My vets said it was the degree of murmur that matters, but the body's ability to cope.

Izzy's middling murmur shot up to the top just before one Christmas. We only knew because he developed a cough, so he was put on Fortekor 5. The cough didn't go, but was much reduced and we did well for about 5 months. Then he had breathing problems, during warm weather and was put on Vetmedin 1.25mg, which had immediate effect. About 4 months later, again during warm weather, we had the same problem, so his Vetmedin was doubled. He did well on this for a year, until fluid began to collect and he needed Frusicare, one a day. For the last 4 months of his life, if fluid increased, I upped the Frusicare to one and a half, for about a week and eventually to two. My vet and as others told me their vet advised the same, was quite happy for me to temporarily raise the dose, as I knew the symptoms. Throughout and up to a month before he died, when he had his last checkup, Izzy did have a very strong pulse and the vet reckined he coped well.

As you see, on doses similar to Sam's, Izzy had over 6 months and I hope that Sam is at least as lucky.

Another point, I and many others, noticed that the symptoms did get worse but eventually settled, after a change in weather. Some dogs were only affected by wet or hot weather, but izzy was affected by any significant change be it in temperature or otherwisw. I think it was related to air pressure change which needed to be got used to.

Sorry to hear about Sam, Mary , I hope he feels better soon :hug::hug:

Last edited:
Sorry I did not know your name Mary Hope you are OK and Sam of couse
----Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

Sam in him self is doing fine. He loves his cuddles, loves trying to catch flies. Its just so sad seeing him trying to run around after the others or if we are going on a long walk i have to leave him at home, as he is just not able to do these things anymore. Also because of the lack of exercise, we still go on 3-4 small walks aday he cant lose the weight and seems to put it on. If i cut his food intake any lower he would be eating nothing.
I think because of his probs thats why he is the one that sleeps in our bedroom, allowed on the chairs(well i started of with that rule no dogs on the chairs didnt last they are all allowed on now.) Comes in the car with us everywhere.

Sorry to hear that Sam is having a tough time :( I hope he will improve and maybe when the weather gets a little colder, he will be able for a longer walk. Sending prayers and hugs to you both.

Can the vet not suggest a filling low callorie diet for Sam ? Izzy went the ther way, becoming all skin and bones. Also, just before we found that Monty had mvd, he lost a lot of weight, but has stabilised, now, so isn't too thin.

Both Karlin and Tara suggested JWB i am going dog food hunting shortly when the Liverpool match is over. Nobody will move till then. At least i get 90 mins peace.

Back